PDA

View Full Version : Casting Thermometer

kendall yates
02-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Who makes the best casting thermometer? I am new to this and would rather not waste my money on junk if there is a quality one out there. Thanks.

Bill*
02-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Folks in a discussion here were leaning toward the RCBS due to its lifetime warranty, but I got the Lyman for a bunch less. As I don't beat up my stuff, it seems made well enough to last a lifetime too.

Slinger
02-14-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree with Bill. I've got a Lyman and it works just fine. There's no reason to beat up something like a thermometer, so it should last.

kendall yates
02-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys. There is nothing better than free advice from people that use the same product.

mooman76
02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Who needs a thermometer? if it's not hot enough turn it up, if it's too hot turn it down.

Goatlips
02-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Kendall, I got my original thermometer off ebay, an industrial one that looks and reads like a boiler thermo with a glass tube. Cost about ten bucks plus shipping. Thought I'd let you know that there are alternatives to the roast meat style that cost a lot more. :Fire:

Goatlips

mtgrs737
02-15-2009, 02:47 AM
RCBS or the one that the antimony man Bill furguson sells. I read where the Lyman Thermometers had problems but that may of been a bad batch as I have always had good luck with Lyman Products in the past. I have the RCBS and am very pleased with it. Bill is a very nice man, and knows his stuff!

WWW.theantimonyman.com

cajun shooter
02-15-2009, 09:25 AM
There is a company in NY state called Tru- Temp. They make industrial stainless thermometers. Made me mine for around $32 and it works great. They will make it to your specs.

Shuz
02-15-2009, 11:10 AM
I have a Tru-Temp also, I've used it, and abused it for many years. Must be a division of Timex, cause it's still workin' fine! I got mine from an industrial instrument shop, Branom Instruments, located in various cities in the Pacific Northwest.