PDA

View Full Version : Harvey Zinc Washer Moulds

klw
02-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Hawk bullets can make the zinc washers for these old moulds and they have them in stock.

Ricochet
02-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks! I have an Ideal twin cavity mould for those things in .358" diameter, but only a handful of the washers.

Not really useful till I pick up a .357 sometime, though, my Colt .38 doesn't need washers or checks.

Morgan Astorbilt
02-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Those Harvey X Bullets are the bane of bullet casters who reclaim lead from range backstops. Just a small amount of zinc will ruin a batch of lead for making bullets. The bullets come out wrinkled, about like if a mold is too cold. Just a heads up, if you're thinking of using them at a range.
Morgan

Ricochet
02-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Wonder if anyone's tried washers of another metal, like copper, aluminum or soft iron, in those?

klw
02-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Those Harvey X Bullets are the bane of bullet casters who reclaim lead from range backstops. Just a small amount of zinc will ruin a batch of lead for making bullets. The bullets come out wrinkled, about like if a mold is too cold. Just a heads up, if you're thinking of using them at a range.
Morgan

Interesting observation. So you wouldn't suggest remelting any imperfect bullets that had those washers attached?

Ricochet
02-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Keep the temperature below the melting point of zinc and you'll have no problem.

klw
02-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Keep the temperature below the melting point of zinc and you'll have no problem.

That's an obvious idea that would not have occurred to me. Thanks!

Know the melting point of zinc?

Morgan Astorbilt
02-14-2009, 03:27 PM
785F. Right in casting temp range. That's the problem.
Morgan

Ricochet
02-14-2009, 03:44 PM
You can certainly melt or smelt at a lower temperature, then crank it up. Takes a little longer, not a big problem.

NoDakJak
02-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I am goiing to load some Harveys this afternoon that consist of a pure lead boolit swaged to a copper washer. The lead appears to be coated with either graphite or moly. It was noted in some articles back in the fifties and sixties that the zinc washer was not always completely successful at removing lead. These copper washers appear to be about the thickness of a gascheck and I doubt if they will be as effective as the zinc. The gent that makes these says that he uses them for Catsneeze loads (approximately 400 fps) and hasn't tested them at higher velocities. After some initial experimental loads I also anticipate utilizing the remainder experimenting with the Catsneeze loads. Neil

klw
02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
I am goiing to load some Harveys this afternoon that consist of a pure lead boolit swaged to a copper washer. The lead appears to be coated with either graphite or moly. It was noted in some articles back in the fifties and sixties that the zinc washer was not always completely successful at removing lead. These copper washers appear to be about the thickness of a gascheck and I doubt if they will be as effective as the zinc. The gent that makes these says that he uses them for Catsneeze loads (approximately 400 fps) and hasn't tested them at higher velocities. After some initial experimental loads I also anticipate utilizing the remainder experimenting with the Catsneeze loads. Neil

Who makes these cooper washers?

NoDakJak
02-14-2009, 08:27 PM
I will see what I can find out but it will take several days. Neil

NoDakJak
02-15-2009, 05:48 PM
I loaded ten rounds of 38 Special with these boolits this morning. Loaded with 3.2 grains of Bullseye. Test gun was a Colt Police Special. I only managed to get three cartridges into the cylinder. Hmmm! Time to do some measuring. The calipers told the tale. The boolits measured .357 before seating and .376 after seating. Evidently the sharp edged washer is biting into the inside of the case and causing the seating pressure to swage the pure lead boolit to the same size as the case exterior. I fired the three rounds without any problems but the prmers indicate somewhat higher pressures than expected. Three rounds certainly are not much of a test but there was no apparent leading. I could fire up the lathe and turn out a special expander but that may or may not alleviate the problem. I could probably lightly chamfer the rear of the boolit just enough to break the sharp edge on the washer but this would be a real PITA. I am sorry now that I traded off my Colt Navy clone because this boolit seems as if it would be ideal for it. I never mentioned it before but the are 150 grain slugs. Neil