PDA

View Full Version : 45 Special

ddeaton
02-13-2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.cowboy45special.com/cowboy45brass.html

Anyone used these yet?

cajun shooter
02-14-2009, 07:44 AM
I have not used them, but they have a lot of post about them on SASS and CAS City. Dick Dastardly the seller of the big lube bullet molds has many post about the case. They were designed by AJ to fill another need or want in CAS. I do know that unless your rifle is modified it's unlikely it will feed them. My 92 will have a burp if loaded with Schofields. I shoot straight 45 Colt and don't worry about the clock so that puts me out of the need column.

ddeaton
02-14-2009, 09:23 AM
I am not in the need column either, Cajun. I am just thinking of half charge black powder rounds for my wheel gun.

Springfield
02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
I used them for a bit for my wife for cowboy shooting with her pistols. They worked fine but she didn't like having different cartridges for rifle and handgun, so I went back to all 45 Schofield's. The recoil difference was negligible. I shoot BP 45 Schofield cartridges in my '72 Opentops and they are very nice, very managable recoil, and I shoot duelist.

jimkim
02-14-2009, 06:14 PM
It looks like a 45 auto rim case with a bumpsized roundball stuffed in it.

cajun shooter
02-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Deaton, I will +1 on Springfields post. We have a CAS range that has the targets very close because of the property they have. I shoot the Schofields in my revolvers at this range and it works fine. You are still being correct by firing that round as it was a issued round to the US Calvary in it's day. I would be more than happy to send you some cases and bullits for you to try. Will do it at NC. Later David

ddeaton
02-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Deaton, I will +1 on Springfields post. We have a CAS range that has the targets very close because of the property they have. I shoot the Schofields in my revolvers at this range and it works fine. You are still being correct by firing that round as it was a issued round to the US Calvary in it's day. I would be more than happy to send you some cases and bullits for you to try. Will do it at NC. Later David

Thanks Dave, I am not familiar with the Schofields. I will dig up some info. Load with 45 colt dies?
Danny

cajun shooter
02-16-2009, 09:49 AM
If you have the RCBS dies they will load both. I think it's a great round and buy my cases from Starline. I also shoot these with a full case of 2F BP so it's not a gamer load. My RO at the last match said he was going to rename me Thunder as I make the ground shake. The Schofields are like shooting 44 spl in 44 mag. I shoot a 200gr bullet in the cases.

Springfield
02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
45 Colt dies will usually work but on some you may have to grind down the crimp die as they are sometimes too short. This is what I did as I had a spare 45 Colt set and I'm cheap.

Yance
02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
I used them for a bit for my wife for cowboy shooting with her pistols. They worked fine but she didn't like having different cartridges for rifle and handgun, so I went back to all 45 Schofield's. The recoil difference was negligible. I shoot BP 45 Schofield cartridges in my '72 Opentops and they are very nice, very managable recoil, and I shoot duelist.

My "reduced recoil" load is 25 gr of Goex FFFg in a .45 Colt case using a 45 cal TC MAXI Ball. The MAXI is another real "greasewagon" so I don't have to worry about fouling after a couple of strings.