PDA

View Full Version : Which Lubri Sizer to buy?

joecool911
02-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I am new at this and dont quite understand all that is involved. I have a pretty good understanding of the casting process, but dont quite have the sizing part figured out.

RCBS, Lee, etc. dont seem to offer .432 sizing dies. If I want to size .432 do I have to go to a Star?

If I order a Star, what do I order? Just the sizer and needed sizing dies? Am I better off to order the custom dies from the guy here on the site?

ddeaton
02-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Star baby!

Air Cylinder option
Heated base option either Star Magma, or Lyman which is drilled for Star and cheaper

Order dies from Lathesmith on here.

Dont waste time with the auto bullet feed or the shovel handle. Can be added later if you desire. I took mine off and its on the shelf.

Then you will want another one later like me. :drinks:

ddeaton
02-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Oh, and another thing.

Buy solid sticks of lube, not hollow. Or roll your own lube. Melt and pour in the sizer. Lots of good posts on here. I just went through what you are and this is what I learned.

jsizemore
02-13-2009, 11:34 PM
ddeaton,What lube recipe/s do you use?

ddeaton
02-13-2009, 11:48 PM
ddeaton,What lube recipe/s do you use?

White Label 50/50 so far.
I got a box of 2500+ and carnuba red also. I havent tried them yet. At first I didnt like the softness of the 50/50 and bought the others to try. Since using a while I am getting use to it and kinda like it. I want another sizer so as to set up for another lube. Changing dies and punches are easy, lubes are a pain in the rear.

HeavyMetal
02-14-2009, 01:28 AM
First welcome aboard!

You'll find differing opinions on lube sizer type's here that's for sure.

I will second ddeaton's suggestion of a Star if you can afford a new one or have the time to deal with evil bay.

You didn't mention what you'd be casting but with the .432 question I'll guess a 44 mag. Your not stuck with a Star to size .432 several guys here will make sizers in that size for the RCBS or Lyman style sizers.

Lots of different boolit designs out there, pick and chose carefully.

Star's work best with those designs that have a single lube groove. They are also a bunch faster than any other luber on the market. This may not be an issue for those that shoot 4 or 5 hundred rounds a year but for those who do, or used to do, 700 to 1000 a month than this is a great feature!

Again it boils down to your need and budget.

dromia
02-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits Joecool.

The Star is indeed a fine lube sizer but really comes into its own if you need to do lots of the same boolits to the same size in this game it has no peers.

However if you are like me who is casting and loading a couple of hundred boolits at a time of different designs that all have different lubing and sizing requirements for different rifles then the Lyman and RCBS are much better.

They are much cheaper and easier to get second hand than the Star, I have 3 rcbs, 2 Lymans and a Vickers on my bench and they all cost less than a new Star. Also I find size die change over time is quicker than on the Starr, not an issue if you are sizing high volumes of the same boolit.

For size dies Buckshot will make you any size you want.

So really you need to consider your needs first to help you make a decision.

cajun shooter
02-14-2009, 09:00 AM
You might want to try and see if anyone is doing this in your area and try the equipment they are using. It all depends on the volume of shooting you do. If you only shoot 100 rds a month then the Star is a waste of money. Don't buy one just to have or you will be sorry. If you shoot in one of the shooting sports and burn the ammo then buy the Star. I have used them since 1971 and it's the best. Will disagree with deaton on the shovel handle though. If you size and lube a lot then the 27.50 is worth every penny. It stops the blisters in the palm of the hand and is a worth while buy. The RCBS is the better buy for the in and out sizers as I think the warranty is better. Go to the LBT mold site and read what Veral says about the different sizers.

bobthenailer
02-14-2009, 07:20 PM
high volume shooter ? star with shovel handel! low volume shooter? rcbs or lyman or saeco !
the star will do multi lube groves ! all of my 8 lube dies have 3 rows of lube holes. just plug or unplug the holes needed

dmftoy1
02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Just finished lubing a bunch for my buddy and I'm getting tired of fussing around with the pressure screw. Is the air pressure (lube) worth while on the star? I don't mind spending the money if it would make things more consistent but I feel like I'm constantly fussing with the heat setting and pressure screw. (Of course this was my first sizing in a "winter" basement. I had done all my sizing before in the summer and didn't need much heat at all on the base - Carnuba Red)

Have a good one,
Dave

ddeaton
02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
You guys have to tell me a little about the shovel handle. I have one, but without bending it, it hits the air cylinder on the way up and is a knuckle buster. Worse than blisters Cajun. Do you guys bend it out a little? If so seems it will be weak at the bend for the tough sizes. Tell me what to do and I will put it back on.

WildmanJack
02-14-2009, 09:05 PM
dmftoy1,
The air cylinder is the best investment I've made on my star. I had one back int he eaerly 70's and sure wish I had the air cylinder back then, sure would have made life a lot easier. I run it offf a little 5 gal. compresor in the garage and I've never had the compressor kick on while I was lubing and sizing. It won't use any air at all... go for it, y9ou won't be disapointed...

ddeaton,
I'm kind of surprised at your problem. I have the shovel handle as well and honestly haven't had a problem with it. Maybe it's how far you have it mounted in the sizer?/ I don't know, mine works great... Sorry your having the problem..
Jack

ddeaton
02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Jack, I will try it again. I really didnt give it much of a chance. I had all the whistles and bells on my new star trying to get it set up. I should have started out small with one option at a time and worked the bugs out of each. Once I got it sizing and lubing I was going crazy running everything I had through it, and some twice, just because it was working so nice. I never looked back at the shovel handle. I tell you guys what, in the morning I will give it a whirl again and report back the results. And I will eat my words.:mrgreen:

runfiverun
02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
raise the bolt on the boolit feeder, it will stop the handle from hitting on the upstroke.
you know the one, it is the one on the boolit base punch..

MtGun44
02-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Dromia and Bobthenailer have it right.

How many of the same exact boolit will you lube at a time?

How many different boolit designs will you be lubing?

If you are lubing a lot (1-2000) per batch of the same identical boolit,
the Star is fantastic - I have two. If you lube just a few and change to
a different design, same diameter - Star re-setup is fussy and slow unless you
purchase another die of the same diam and set it up for the second
boolit.

Lots of different boolits and a few hundred of each - RCBS/Lyman are the
way to go. I have one of each for that role.

It has taken me many years to accumulate these lubesizers.

Start with a simple push through Lee and cake cutter and then when
you need more capacity, step up to a RCBS is a good start.

Bill

dmftoy1
02-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Jack - thanks for the advice on the air cylinder. I guess I know what to ask for as an anniversary gift now. :)

Take care,
Dave