PDA

View Full Version : Bar Solder Suppliers?

Dean D.
02-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I see a lot of comments on using Lead Free bar solder to add tin to the mix. I have looked around at my local hardware stores and only find very expensive and very small rolls of lead free solder for wiping copper pipe joints. :???:

I remember using bar solder years ago to make splices in lead sheathed power cables but have no clue where to find any now. :roll:

Where are you all finding your supply of bar solder now days? Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated! :drinks:

218bee
02-13-2009, 09:51 PM
No place I know of. If you search the NET you can probably find a supplier but it won't be cheap. I always go to scrap yards and ask to search through their scrap lead. Last summer I went to a scrap yard and bought lead for .40 a pound and found 2 5lb bricks from the telephone company marked "wiping solder" any idea what the composition of that might be?? Maybe that is what you used in the past?? Anyway back to the scrap yards I bought 200 lbs of "lead" off them and they charged me 70 bucks and it had the above 10 pounds of solder and a one pound rod marked "pure tin" and about 5 one pound bars marked 50/50. Plus I got some nice soft lead sheets. Anyway my point is search scrap yards and find some that will let YOU do the rummaging and you may find some good stuff. Any retailer/wholesaler is going to charge well over $10 a pound for tin or 95/5 solder.Good luck to you........Any idea about thoses bars of "wiping solder"???

Dean D.
02-13-2009, 09:56 PM
218, I believe that the wiping solder we used was 50/50 but I am not positive. It was marked similar to what you describe. Mind you, that was in 1979 or so.

FN in MT
02-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Roto-Metals...on the net and they have far better prices than I have found ANYWHERE in my area.

FN in MT

Dean D.
02-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks FN.

I'll have to see about ordering some from them. I was not sure if it was still available through local suppliers or if everyone was ordering to get it.

Echo
02-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Bought lead-free solder from Grainger for ~$76 for 10 lbs delivered.

bbs70
02-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Would solder joints on old lead water and sewer pipes be 50/50 solder?

nickdanger12
11-22-2017, 03:30 PM
I see a lot of comments on using Lead Free bar solder to add tin to the mix. I have looked around at my local hardware stores and only find very expensive and very small rolls of lead free solder for wiping copper pipe joints. :???:

I remember using bar solder years ago to make splices in lead sheathed power cables but have no clue where to find any now. :roll:

Where are you all finding your supply of bar solder now days? Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated! :drinks:

Pure Tin, Lead and Antimony the best at www.hallmarkmetals.net

nickdanger12
11-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Try - www.hallmarkmetals.net

JMax
11-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Bar solder is still used in electronics manufacturing in wave solder machines. Look for companies like Kester, Indium and others. Look on their web pages for links to their distributors.

Check the for sale section on this site as there are members who sell both pewter and solder. I just traded some 60/40 solder for some plumbers lead.

RED BEAR
11-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Can't buy lead from scrap yards in my area. I still have one yard a good ways away. But a lot of people trying to buy from them so it is catch as catch can. And just have to keep eye out . given the demand they keep the price pretty low.