PDA

View Full Version : Remove the gaschecks on part of a mold?

selmerfan
02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I have a 6 cavity Lee mold GB copy of Lyman's 358627 215 gr. Keith bullet. I'm considering having the gas check shank removed on three of the cavities. What do you guys think? I use the bullet in a .357 Max pistol and I'm not sure if I really NEED the gaschecks, and with the cost of gaschecks where they are, I think I might do it. Just wanted some input/opinions. Thanks for your help!
Selmerfan

bobthenailer
02-14-2009, 06:59 PM
i use several bullets without the gas ck installed in several guns and get excellent accuracy to at least 1200 fps , but work up the load without gas checks you now have a modfied botail cast bullet

Wayne S
02-14-2009, 07:10 PM
i used to shoot 44's all the time W/O a GC, in a wheel gun it requires a bit more cleaning but out of a T/C shouldn't be a problem, What I dis was put the bullets as they came out of the lub/sizer in a cottage cheese tub that I had put a tea spoon of Motor Mica in, and every teo or so bullets I would swirl the tub coating the lube with the MM, it keep the lube from rubing off on the other bullets. I use this process today on all my bullets, 7's 30's ect,

MT Gianni
02-14-2009, 07:15 PM
I "dehorned" two cavity's on a 180 fn .358 boolit. The jury is still out on long distance work. The fly ok out of a Blackhawk but I have not yet shot them in the 358. I would try 2 at most. I set it up on a drill press making sure that the bit, bench, mold and cavities were all level. I have a small feed table vise so I kept the same set up for the next cavity, just dialing it square. Probably 45 minutes making sure it was right and 30 seconds drilling. Ask your self foremost if it is replaceable, if you bugger it up if you can live with it, and if it is worth the cost of a checkmaker. My answer was I could live with a 4 cavity mold so I did it. I would really consider foremost selling the 358627 and getting a pb mold like the 195 gr 358430 if it were me. The 358627 has been a shooter in all I have tried it in with checks and the possibility that it would shoot equally as well with out them is small to me. We rerun the 180 fn every few years so at most I was out 1 year before a redo and 1 year as a wait time. I don't recall more than 2 group buys of the 358627.