PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait before sizing?

mtgrs737
02-13-2009, 07:47 PM
How long to you guys wait before sizing to get maximum diameter of the unsized boolit. I have some that are on the edge of the diameter that I need. My alloy is almost always WW's that may have a percent of tin added. Thanks!

Shiloh
02-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I size my Tumble Lube pistol boolits anywhere from several hours to a few days after casting. Then I lube, store, and load as needed. They're ready to go. I cast anywhere from several hundred to about a 1000 or so. Last fall I cast up about 1400 and a good part of those are shot up.

My rifle boolits get cast and stored until needed. I will keep about 125-150 sized, lubed and gas-checked ready to go. When they are shot up I do another batch.

There are posts on this and other cast boolit forums that say boolits will soften when sized later. I have no reason to doubt them, as there is much empirical evidence, but have seen no difference in performance. Especially in my military relics.

I shoot at velocities lower than 1750. Problems with softened boolit skins may manifest themselves at higher velocities.

Shiloh

Boerrancher
02-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I have never really bothered to worry about it. I have some boolits that are years old that have not been sized and lubed because I don't shoot them that often, when I need some I size and lube them. Boolits store better for longer with out lube, as oft times the lube will dry up and become hard. There are other boolits that I shoot a lot and those may get lubed as soon as they are cool enough to not melt the lube.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

mpmarty
02-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I generally tumble lube with LA while some of the boolits are still warm. Next day or so I gascheck and size in LEE sizer and then re-lube lightly and set aside for another day or two then I tumble them in motor mica and store them until ready to load. These are rifle boolits for my 7.62X51 AK, my Savage 308 bolt gun or my K31s. Pistol bullets generally just get a light tumble in LA and when dry to the touch throw them in a box to be loaded. I have never had to size my 10mm or 45acp boolits. As long as I don't get lazy and buy commercial cast I never have any leading problems.