PDA

View Full Version : Stimulus Bill and Cast Boolits

RSOJim
02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I was reading in todays paper that everyone and their uncles have their hands out for some money from the Stimulus Bill. The vote is real soon. The thought just crossed my mind, do you good folks suppose that some of that money could be used for our forum to better educate and entertain others about the silver stream of happiness and how its molded to perfection by our members ? Also all members should receive some of that money to upgrade casting and loading equipment and firearms. Powder and Primers would be free for the first year of course.
More ranges could be built so that more testing could be performed. For those of you that live in colder climates, maybe 300 yard heated indoor ranges could be built. Each indoor range would have several resident gunsmith with full machine shop facilities on the premises. No charges to members though. For those of us that live in the sunny south, well maybe our new ranges would have swimming pools and bikini clad life guards who always are wearing the latest in hearing protection. All I really need is a new chronograph though. Thanks for reading this BS. Jim

JSnover
02-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Each indoor range would have several resident gunsmith with full machine shop facilities on the premises. No charges to members though

As soon as you get it built, send me a PM. I'd work there for free!

jnovotny
02-13-2009, 07:07 PM
who's gonna pay for all this?

sundog
02-13-2009, 07:33 PM

...everone in a red state what has a job or owns a bidness.

FN in MT
02-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Probably the next two to three generations...thats who.:groner:

And thats the best case scenario! Only silver lining; when it all FAILS...... the Demo's getting booted out of Office slowly but surely over ther next six years.

FN in MT

Leadforbrains
02-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes it would be nice if all this were to happen. It would make our youth more powerful and self confident. It would in the long run make us as nation more of a powerful force. Imagine a whole USA full of sharpshooters and reloaders to the like that made the Japanese Admiral Yamamoto shake in his boots in 1940s. Yes I agree it would be a worthy expense to improve all the public ranges and pump money into the Civilian marksmanship program. It is a shame that The previous presidents would not stand up and promote CMP and it is a shame that the current regime wants to thwart it.

Edited to add:
Admiral Yamamoto advised the Japanese High command that if they tried to invade the United States they would find a well aimed rifle behind every blade of grass.

Old Ironsights
02-13-2009, 09:50 PM
...Admiral Yamamoto advised the Japanese High command that if they tried to invade the United States they would find a well aimed rifle behind every blade of grass.
And, oddly enough, that is why we Nuked Japan...

We really didn't want to deal with children attacking with Tantos and women weilding NagaNati...

Leadforbrains
02-13-2009, 10:19 PM
And, oddly enough, that is why we Nuked Japan...

We really didn't want to deal with children attacking with Tantos and women weilding NagaNati...
I am glad they or the germans didn't get the bomb before us.

Old Ironsights
02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Germany certainly tried... but we stole most of their best Brains and (literally) sunk their heavy water project.

Japan wasn't even in the stadium, much less the ballpark. That kind of bomb was completely unthinkable to them... (un-Samauri) which is why it worked.

Leadforbrains
02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
This was on the History channel awhile ago that there was a German UBoat that was destined to to deliver radioactive materials of some sort to Japan. I missed the rest of the program, so I can't comment any futher there. From what I gather that some of Japan's technology during WWII was copied from the Germans ( The Zero, Betty, Arisaka rifles are german technology). The Brits LMG
which I want to say was the predecessor to the Brit bren gun was also copied. I also heard this ( I can't back this up) that the Germans set up the glass manufacturing and polishing for optical lenses in Japan. From what I understand Japans beer brewing also comes from Germany also.
I was fortunate to know and be able to listen to veterans of both theaters of WWII. I hope no one will ever forget.

Old Ironsights
02-13-2009, 11:49 PM
This was on the History channel awhile ago that there was a German UBoat that was destined to to deliver radioactive materials of some sort to Japan. ....
That's what the Allies sunk. Even had the U Boat made it to Japan, however, the Japanese would have been starting essentially from scratch with only the (supposed) fissionables. The did not have a strong Physics Infrastructure and would likely not have been able to do anything with is for decades... even with German assistance.

Couple that with getting the Japanese High Command over the hurdle of using somthing so "dishonorable", (as it was well outside of what Bushido "allowed") a Japanese Bomb was really never as realistic of a concern as a German Bomb.

Swarms of Japanese armed with sticks and the duty to die OTOH...

bruce drake
02-13-2009, 11:58 PM
OK, The Japanese were very efficient in copying the designs of other countries.

So was the US after the Spanish-American War. We used the 1893 Mauser design as the basis for the 03 Springfield.

The Brits Bren Gun is a direct copy of a Czech LMG that they and the Germans turned down.

THe Arisaka (my personal favorite rifle by the way) was designed in the early 1900s with several improvements on the basic Mauser action. The Arisaka action is a stronger design than the Mauser. COL Arisaka refined the process to make the bolt i(6 pieces versus 12 for the Mauser) the Rifle was reinforced at the wrist area with metal tangs that prevented the rifle from snapping at the wrist when you used it as skull cracker. The Japanese were the first to identify the benefits of the 6.5mm bullet size (long range accuracy and excellent penetration) With only the Swedes seeing the same caliber being considered.

Now thier pistols downright sucked. Thier type 26 pistol literally would shoot the owner if the external sear was pushed while it rested in the holster. Their Nambu pistol shot an anemic 8mm bottlenecked round that occasionally bounced off wooden walls that GI's were using as cover.

But I don't think anyone will ever fault the quality of the steel in their swords.

Bruce

runfiverun
02-14-2009, 12:32 AM
i think we would be better served getting a charter for a church....
hide under their own rules....
then again, i remember how that worked out in waco............

Leadforbrains
02-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the history lesson Old Iron, Bruce.:drinks:

Bret4207
02-14-2009, 09:06 AM
That's what the Allies sunk. Even had the U Boat made it to Japan, however, the Japanese would have been starting essentially from scratch with only the (supposed) fissionables. The did not have a strong Physics Infrastructure and would likely not have been able to do anything with is for decades... even with German assistance.

Couple that with getting the Japanese High Command over the hurdle of using somthing so "dishonorable", (as it was well outside of what Bushido "allowed") a Japanese Bomb was really never as realistic of a concern as a German Bomb.

Swarms of Japanese armed with sticks and the duty to die OTOH...

Just caught a show on The History Channel the other night on the Japanese peior to WW2. The "Bushido" and "Samurai" codes used by the Japanese in WW2 were apparently nothing like the traditional meanings of those words. IOW- the base ideas were taken and morphed into a propaganda tool. It was similar to the way Hitler corrupted the Aryan (or whatever it was he used, I'm not into the European theater) ideas to fit his machine. I wonder if the Japanese command would have hesitated at all to use any weapon they could. They didn't hesitate to use the latest equipment available at the time. The "bushido" and "samurai" ideals seemed to used more for talking kids into killing themselves in airplanes than anything else.

The bigger question is from the opening post- What makes anyone think the "Stimulus" funds will ever reach anyone of the lower classes? This money is just going to pay off those who supported The Messiah.

JudgeBAC
02-14-2009, 10:33 AM
One thing all you good folks from PA can do is send Arlen Specter packing. Send him home where he belongs.

Thumbcocker
02-14-2009, 11:32 AM
The Japaase did not hesitate to drop containers of plauge infected rats and fleas on civilian populations in asia. They were also planning on using a "dirty" bomb on San Francisco. Extensive research with biological and chemical agents was done on pow's in manchuria. If they would have developed a bomb they would have used it in a heart beat.

The origional concept of burshido included things like it was unsamari to injure or harm a devenseless person or disarmed enemy. During the Russo Japanease war of 1905 and WWI when Japan was an ally they were held up as a model of how a civilized nation treated pow's. Some Russian Prisoners did not want to return home. While the Japanease had litte respect for an individual who surrendered while he still had the ability to resist they were still treated correctly. Prisoners who had fought well were held in higher esteem.

With the coming of the ultra rightist govenrment in the 1920's and the racial politics that followed all of those traditions were perverted and the slaughter of "subhumans" was actually encouraged. An excellent book that chronicles all this is "Warriors of the Rising Sun"

Ricochet
02-14-2009, 02:58 PM
The Zero and others were powered by a Nakajima copy of Pratt & Whitney's R-1830 Twin Wasp.

AlaskaMike
02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
For those of us that live in the sunny south, well maybe our new ranges would have swimming pools and bikini clad life guards

I'd be all for that, except with my luck the life guard would be some guy named Frank with more back hair than an Armenian weightlifter.

Charlie Sometimes
02-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Church of the Silver Stream?
Wonder if we can find a "Moses" of our own that could travel around the country and visit each of us to strike his staff on the ground and out would come a never ending supply of that pure God-given element?

Old Ironsights
02-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Amen!