PDA

View Full Version : Industrial battery lead cell connectors

kendall yates
02-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I am new to this site but Hello to everyone. I own an industrial battery company in Maryland and was wondering if the intercell connectors are useful? they are usually about 3 incles long, weight about 1/2 pound and are never in contact with the acid. I just came across this website and never relized that I am sittin on a gold (lead) mine. I have been shipping it to the battery recycler for 6 cents a pound lately. I listed a small flat rate priorty mail box on ebay (item # 150325437634) to see what it would do. Any thought on this type of lead? Value? Is it garbage? Thank you.

oneokie
02-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Do you know the composition of the alloy the connectors are made of?

kendall yates
02-12-2009, 10:47 PM
No, I have no idea, they are pretty hard. On every battery has the serial number stamped into it and they take a strong drill to drill them so they can be removed. How would I find out? Thanks

jnovotny
02-12-2009, 10:50 PM
send me a sample of about 1000# ha ha welcome to the site

kendall yates
02-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Right now i have maybe 2 pounds but its dosent take long to get more. I have been cleaning up as the price from my smelter has been dropping. I would like to smack myself for getting rid of it after seeing this site.

supv26
02-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Right now i have maybe 2 pounds but its dosent take long to get more. I have been cleaning up as the price from my smelter has been dropping. I would like to smack myself for getting rid of it after seeing this site.

Hind sight= 20/20!!!
Been there done that with a lot of things!!

I am watching your ebay auction with the lead. I am curious also on how much it will go for.

mtgrs737
02-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Sounds like what the recyclers call "battery Lugs" if so they are priced about 1/3 more than mixed lead or wheel weights. They list them at .37 pound.

www.recycle.net go to lead area

flinchnjerk
02-13-2009, 03:10 AM
Kendall... while you're smacking yourself you can smack me too. I could've had thousands of pounds of the stuff (old forklift batteries) ...for free...over the years. Didn't bother with it, since I assumed that battery manufacturers wouldn't use a different alloy for the connectors than they did for the plates (and the plates one definitely doesn't want to use). Finally thought to ask a long-time acquaintance who's in the battery reconditioning biz about the connectors. He said they're fine; he keeps a couple of pounds of the stuff molten in his shop at all times, and he's never suffered any ill effects (well, two of his heads said so, the third disagreed). Sure enough; casts beautiful bullets as is... BHN's 15. Harder than I need, so I use them 50/50 with wheelweights or range salvage.
There's an oufit near me that smelts lead, and sells to the public. Their standard alloy is 92 lead/6 antimony/2 tin. Since their main source of material is industrial batteries, I'd guess that'd be the composition of the connectors.