PDA

View Full Version : lead vs jacketed loads.

two bit okie
02-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I know that I dont want to use lead heavy cast bullet charges for jacketed. but how about taking a jacketed bullet load and putting behind a lead.

What I am talking about is that I can find lots of data for 300 gr gr jacketed, but I cast the lee 310 gr bullet out of straight wheel weights. I dont mind using the jacketed loads for cast, but what are the safty factors of using for instance the 20 grain of 296 charge listed for 300 gr sierra's behind my 310 cast 44s.

The guns in question are a marlin 1894, rossi mod 92, four ruger 1st gen vaqueros, and super blackhawks. not a questionably strong gun in the mix.

Input appreciated, in all directions.

anachronism
02-12-2009, 09:48 PM
You're fine. If the loads is listed as safe for a jacketed bullet, it should certainly be safe for cast bullets, which offer much less resistance as the pass down the bore than jacketed bullets do. Velocities should be higher too. It is advisable to follow the usual precautions regarding load development. Hodgdons website lists 22 gr of 296 for the Beartooth 325 gr 44 mag.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

runfiverun
02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
uhhhh, you can push them till they lead or till you go over the pressure limit.
i would/myself,start a bit lower with those 300 grainers.
unless you got a grizzly or elephant problem...

R.C. Hatter
02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
My advice would be for you to go straightaway and purchase the latest Lyman Reloading Manual. By so doing, you can avail yourself of the best of both worlds and likely save yourself from potential troubles later. The manual contains data for both cast and jacketed loads.

Boerrancher
02-12-2009, 11:50 PM
My advice would be for you to go straightaway and purchase the latest Lyman Reloading Manual. By so doing, you can avail yourself of the best of both worlds and likely save yourself from potential troubles later. The manual contains data for both cast and jacketed loads.

I agree that the Lyman manual is a must for cast boolit beginners, but there comes a time when once one is proficient with the Lyman loads they need to step up a bit on branch out on their own. The Lyman manual is a great book but cast boolits have a much greater potential than the manual allows for. There are some things that cast boolits just won't do very well, but not many. In some calibers it is possible to achieve jacketed velocities with ease but you can't do that with the data found in a Lyman Manual.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

44man
02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Work loads for accuracy just like you do for jacketed. The Lee 310 gr just loves 21.5 gr of 296. I use standard primers so if you use mag primers just start at 20 gr and work up till the boolit shoots best.

44man
02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
My Marlin likes 20.5 gr a little better. The revolver wants more powder.