PDA

View Full Version : Limb lopper Cutting lead pipe and sheathing

earplug
02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Bought some decent lead pipe today, In the past I used a old hand saw to cut it into pieces for my pot.
Got tired of that and tried a large set of pruning shears/limb loppers. They work much faster and you don't get all the lead shavings around the floor.
I have found that smashing the pipe flat will help it melt much faster. Feels good too!

357maximum
02-12-2009, 08:02 PM
I have done about 4000 lbs of lead pipe. A hatchet and wood block is hard to beat.

Just remember if you happen to seal a bit of moisture in the pipe with both ends smooshed closed ......you just made a little moisture vapor powered pipe bomb in the melt.

fivegunner
02-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I think I have tryed every thing cutting lead water pipe, what works the best for me is a sawsall . for lead cable I use a linemans skining knife and a hammer, I don`t like to do much lead cable but when it`s free I can`t turn it down.:Fire::castmine:

mikenbarb
02-12-2009, 11:30 PM
I take the large pieces and melt thru it with a cutting torch. Put a larger ingot mold under where your melting it and you kill two birds with one stone.

montana_charlie
02-13-2009, 01:25 PM
I have found that smashing the pipe flat will help it melt much faster. Feels good too!Just remember if you happen to seal a bit of moisture in the pipe with both ends smooshed closed ......you just made a little moisture vapor powered pipe bomb in the melt.
Not only that, just trapping some air inside might set you up so that...not only does your lead melt fast...the pot will self-empty fast, too.

Of course, I'm not sure how you collect all of those BB-sized ingots...
CM