PDA

View Full Version : boolit pullers

targetshootr
02-12-2009, 12:29 PM
It turns out there are boolit pullers you can use on a single stage press so I wonder if anybody uses one and if they're worth the cost. I'm accumulating a pile to pull because of bent primers, etc.

A few pullers :

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RERABP&type=store

AZ Pete
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
The kinetic bullet puller will do all you need to do, put a foam ear plug in it to cushion the bullet when it comes out of the case.

The collet pullers will handle jacketed bullets without fear of damaging an exposed lead tip, or removing the powder from the case.

OLPDon
02-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I agree with AZ Pete Kinetic bullet puller is the only way to go. Don't put your hard earned $$$ into something that will only damage the boolits you extract.
Don

Shiloh
02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
The Davidson style shown is pretty much for bench rest boolits or otherwise lightly gripped or shallow seated boolits. I have one purchased years ago from Sinclair and it's worthless for anything else.

The Hornady Cam-Lok is sweet, I have the Hornady collet style that has the screw type collet shown on the Forster. I used it one winter to pull about 900 hot-loaded 9mm bullets and boolits. It worked great but is slower than the Cam-Lok I borrowed from my buddy. If not careful, it will damage boolits. Jacketed bullets fair much better. Cast usually go back into the pot.

I couldn't use it on .45 ACP as there was not enough bullet to grip and the teeth on the collets would slide off the round nose. 9mm did MUCH better. So do most jacketed rifle bullets. This is where the kinetic style shines.

The kinetic puller is a must have in any reloaders bag of tricks. Great for a quick bullet pull with no set-up adjustments. :-D

Shiloh

mpmarty
02-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I use the Forester unit with different size collets. I pull cast .30 cal, jacketed 45acp and 10mm the forester has yet to damage a cast bullet. It is a bit spendy but I've had mine for thirty years so the cost amortizes quite well.

mikenbarb
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I use a RCBS and a old Forster that mount in the press like a die. You just screw it in and put the correct collet in and you can pull them as fast as you can put a case in a shell holder and pull the handle. I also have an inertia but it makes me cringe every time I wack it on a block or plate steel because I have heard of wayyy too many mishaps with the inertia type when a primer decides to pop and blow the plastic head into tiny pieces of sharp flying plastic. But you definatly need one for some round nose pistol boolits that other types cant grab hold of. I like the RCBS die type puller the best and never had a primer pop on me using it. Its not the fastest but its definatly the safest type to use. I got an extra Forster with a .30cal collet if you want one cheap.

targetshootr
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I also cringe when I whack with the kinetic. It's loud and reminds me of when I was a kid and my genius brother thought he'd break open a rifle bullet with a hammer. Ka-boom.

The guy at Sinclair said Hornady makes the best one.

square butte
02-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I have the Hornady as well and is the best of what i have tried.

jack19512
02-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I agree with AZ Pete Kinetic bullet puller is the only way to go. Don't put your hard earned $$$ into something that will only damage the boolits you extract.
Don

I really have to disagree with this statement. I have the RCBS and it's been some of the best money I have ever spent. I have even pulled my boolits without damage. I can only assume you have never used any of the collet type pullers. I will admit I have never used any of the kinetic type pullers but can't imagine them being easier to use than my RCBS. I will admit that there might be certain times a kinetic puller might work better as in the post where you just don't have sufficient bullet to grip but I haven't found that yet and I have pulled a lot of bullets.

Cowboy5780
02-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Ive got the RCBS puller ive never damaged a j-word bullet and have only pulled several cast but they werent damaged enough to remelt them