PDA

View Full Version : I'm a baaad boy.

Bigscot
01-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I went to the gun show today and brand new Winchester Legacy in .44 mag winked her eye at me and proceed to make advances I could not resist. I fought her off long enough to walk around the rest of the show but the flesh was weak and I succumbed.
Anyway, I now something else to spit lead with. I have never slugged a gun and don't have any slugging supplies so I was wondering if anyone knows what these guns usually slug at? I was also wondering what types of boolit work well with a rifle? My RSH loves the RCBS 250gn K boolit sized to .431 but I don't know if it will cycle and shoot through the rifle. I also shoot a Lee 200 gn rnfp as cast from in the RSH.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bigscot

Buckshot
01-23-2006, 03:50 AM
..............Bigscot, "I also shoot a Lee 200 gn rnfp as cast from in the RSH."

Take one of those boolits and lightly compress it between the jaws of a vice to bulge it up a tiny bit. No vice? Well then smack it on the nose with a hammer 8). Oil the barrel of your rifle and then drop the slug in.

You should have gone to the hardware store and bought a 3' piece of cold or hot rolled steel 1/4" to 3/8" rod. Wrap a turn of duct or masking tap around it about every 2-3" up it's length to keep it off the bore. Place this atop the boolit in the chamber and with the muzzle on a board, drive it through.

Mike (or use calipers) the result. Take this poor abused slug and seat it in an empty cartridge case. It should chamber easily. Now wrap a SINGLE wrap of scotch tape around the casemouth, and note the OD. Chamber it. If it chambers easily wrap another single wrap of tape around the cartridge mouth and try to re-chamber it, again noting the OD measurement.

Probably will be snug if it will chamber. The slug's measured OD plus the thickness of the first tape wrap will be a good size to size the slugs. You'll be a couple thou over groove yet still have room for the case to release the boolit.

Congratulations on the new rifle, you lucky dog!

.......................Buckshot

IMR
01-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Bigscot,
Brother, I truly hope your rifle is a sweet one. I had a real bad time w/ Winchester several years ago over one of them puppies. No matter what I fed it, I couldn't make it hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with the door shut. I sent it back to Winchester and they promptly LOST IT! I had to mail them the gunshop receipt and they paid me for it.
I'm sure it was an isolated problem, but it made me swear off Winnie levers.

IMR

HickoryCreek
01-23-2006, 12:24 PM
..............Bigscot, "I also shoot a Lee 200 gn rnfp as cast from in the RSH."

Take one of those boolits and lightly compress it between the jaws of a vice to bulge it up a tiny bit. No vice? Well then smack it on the nose with a hammer 8). Oil the barrel of your rifle and then drop the slug in.

You should have gone to the hardware store and bought a 3' piece of cold or hot rolled steel 1/4" to 3/8" rod. Wrap a turn of duct or masking tap around it about every 2-3" up it's length to keep it off the bore. Place this atop the boolit in the chamber and with the muzzle on a board, drive it through.

Mike (or use calipers) the result. Take this poor abused slug and seat it in an empty cartridge case. It should chamber easily. Now wrap a SINGLE wrap of scotch tape around the casemouth, and note the OD. Chamber it. If it chambers easily wrap another single wrap of tape around the cartridge mouth and try to re-chamber it, again noting the OD measurement.

Probably will be snug if it will chamber. The slug's measured OD plus the thickness of the first tape wrap will be a good size to size the slugs. You'll be a couple thou over groove yet still have room for the case to release the boolit.

Congratulations on the new rifle, you lucky dog!

.......................Buckshot

I am in the process of slugging my new 1895CB, so your words are very interesting to me. Everything I have read before said to slug the bore and size 001 over. Are you reccomending against this? Not saying you're wrong, just trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do. This is the first gun I have ever slugged. When you say to wrap scotch tape around the case mouth, do you mean over the brass too or just the bullet as it is in the case. Or do we take the bullet out and reseat each time with the scotch tape on it. Sorry for the stupid questions just trying to figure out what I should do here. When I just drove a sinker through the bore it measures at 458 with my caliper. Sorry I can't get 4 digits out of this thing less I just guess. I was thinking of ordering my mold to 459. any suggestions will be welcome.

woody1
01-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I am in the process of slugging my new 1895CB, so your words are very interesting to me. Everything I have read before said to slug the bore and size 001 over. Are you reccomending against this?

What Buckshot is telling you to do is find out how large a boolit will chamber and still easily release from the case. Size to this rather than just a thou. or 2 over bore size. What you're tryin' to find out is how large the neck of the case can be and still have a fraction of room for the boolit to release. Regards, Woody

omgb
01-23-2006, 06:40 PM
My method of bore slugging involves oval sinkers. I buy the hollow ones designed to slip over the line. Cigar shaped, hole throught th emiddle and just a tad over the bore size. I then take a plastic hammer and after lightly oiling the bore, pound the slug into the muzzle (don't use a metal hammer for this). I then use a steel rod wrapped in black electrition's tape and hammer the slug through the bore. Then I mic it. The holow core provides some give so that I've never had a slug jam in the bore. I then cast and size .001-.002 over that measurement.

HickoryCreek
01-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Yeah I bought the oval ones too. I have pushed about five of them through. They all measure at 4582ish to 4587ish. I don't exactly have a top of the line caliper though.

Four Fingers of Death
01-24-2006, 03:35 AM
My old friend Don has one of those with a Lyman Tang sight fitted. He whups our asses with that rifle every time we get to a cowboy shoot, He shoots the same rifle and load in both normal events and in long range rifle, we haven't laid a glove on him yet.