PDA

View Full Version : Yea!!! Another what do I have thread!!!

Timberland
02-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Hi guys, this should be a sub-forum, any how I just got theese
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k378/actionman2002/lead2.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k378/actionman2002/lead.jpg

The ones on the far right are what im trying to identify, they have a nice goldish hue almost like a TiN treated gunpart. an are much lighter than lead, the ones on the right are are about 15oz, while the PB in the center is 1lb6oz. The puck is Linotype. Any idea what I got? Tin, Zinc, Nickle, a mix?

snaggdit
02-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Its gold bullion! Stash it! No, I don't know. Hope someone can help you!

Bret4207
02-12-2009, 08:16 AM
????? Who knows? You can do a hardness test and see what temp it melts at. That will get you in the ball park. Scrape it and see if that color goes all the way through. Could be a bronze or brass or copper bearing babitt type material.

montana_charlie
02-12-2009, 12:24 PM
You've got to be kidding. Surely you don't expect anybody to be able to identify those, do you?
The two rectangular jobs in the center migh be possible, if you turned then over.
They probably have Lyman, RCBS, or SAECO on them.

That means they make good bullets from Lyman, RCBS, or SAECO moulds...naturally.
CM

fourarmed
02-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I was given a couple of buckets of ingots once, and some of them had that gold cast. They were supposed to be wheelweights. I just mixed them in with the others, and it worked fine.

Loony44
02-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Take an ingot, drop from 2.5ft, on concrete, if you hear a dull thud it is probably pure lead. A ringing is WW or an alloy of that caliber. (If you are like me everything rings).
All else fails, send to me and I find out how best to use it.

scrapcan
02-12-2009, 01:56 PM
looks lik eit could be .... well as others have already said.

But one not mentioned is a nickle babbit alloy. If it were me I would see how it melted, see how it cast, see how hard it was, and the see if it alloyed. Or I might just skip the last two steps and shoot if it casts good.

But really it could be about anything depending on where you got it.

deltaenterprizes
02-12-2009, 08:57 PM
The ones on the left look like they have plenty of tin in them.

home in oz
02-12-2009, 10:46 PM
It is boolit making material.

Nuff said.

JeffinNZ
02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
The ones on the left look exactly like my tin based babbit that I use for 'sweeting' clip on WW. Weight figures that too.

Timberland
02-13-2009, 06:33 AM
The ones on the left look exactly like my tin based babbit that I use for 'sweeting' clip on WW. Weight figures that too.

Thats what I figure, will im gunna try some mixes, my pure PB is just to soft