PDA

View Full Version : Big Nevada Copper Strike

NVcurmudgeon
02-11-2009, 02:33 AM
I struck it rich today! After telling the wife that if I had to go to Reno, I'd check Sportsman's Warehouse for any overlooked components I could use. SW is the biggest and best component dealer in western Nevada. I don't even look at powder after being given the runaround so many tiimes in the last two or three years, and only glanced at the pitiful stock of primers in passing (a few hundred LP Magnum primers, and a few thousand shotgun primers.) No, I headed straight for the jacketed bullet display. Each of the big three brands had about five feet of shelf space for .22 bullets alone. There, in solitary splendor, was one full box of 100 Hornady 45 gr. Hornet bullets! I rushed to the check stand with this treasure and proudly announced that I was buying their entire stock of .22 cal. jacketed bullets. It pays to be one of the few geezers who shoots a Hornet.

Buckshot
02-11-2009, 04:18 AM
.............And what does THAT tell ya? :-)

..............Buckshot

Ricochet
02-11-2009, 07:24 AM
That all the other Hornet shooters got there first?

BruceB
02-11-2009, 11:07 AM
" Each of the big three brands had about five feet of -----EMPTY----- shelf space for .22 bullets alone. There, in solitary splendor, was one full box of 100 Hornady 45 gr. Hornet bullets!"

I think that fixed it. When NVC remarked about buying their "entire" stock of jacketed .22 bullets, I twigged to the fact that this was the ONLY box of jacketed .22s on the shelves.

Conversely, I stopped in at our favorite reloading store last week (Brown's Hardware) and found the staff up to their knees in brown Hornady shipping cartons while they re-stocked the shelves with those pretty red-and-white boxes. There's NO shortage of Hornady bullets in Winnemucca (for now). Plenty of other makes of jacketed bullets, too. Primers are in good supply as well.

hpdrifter
02-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Mr. NVCurmudgeon; would you be interested in a partial box of 45 grn Hornady bullets; ~40, don't really know. A new bag of Winchester 22 hornet brass, and two boxes of pretty well used Remington brass. Still got a few of those loaded, so I'll have to break em down and I prolly won't be in no hurry about it.

Someone stole my hornet rifle and I got no use for em.

Let me know your thoughts.

hydraulic
02-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I received my new Midway catalog today and noticed that .30 gas checks are now $37 an M.

R.C. Hatter
02-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I was in a Sportsman's Warehouse in Lexington, KY today and was amazed at how empty their shelves were for everything components-wise ! I bet they had 20 feet of empty shelf space for .22 Rimfire alone. Mostly, they were about out of everything, and
not a .22LR anything to be had except for a little high-dollar match stuff. They had a few boxes of .22 Shorts. They had very little brass, primers, bullets and about 20 lbs of powder of various kinds, mostly single cans of a kind.
It was about the same thing at a Wally World there as well, albeit I was able to get
a box of 550 Remington "Golden" and a 500 round box of Winchester HP .22s there.
The Wal-Mart was about bare of all rifle & handgun ammo, but had several shotshells.

smokemjoe
02-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Cabels was about out of primers in P.Du Chien Wis. also.

rockrat
02-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Our local Murdochs has Federal 550 packs for $20 a pop. Lots in stock. Haven't checked Wally World.

1Shirt
02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Think we had better tighten our belts guys and hold on to our wallets for at least the next 3 years and 11 months. Combinations of shipments of our metals to China, the war effort, and the anti gun administration will insure that we will be in short supply of a whole lot of anything that will be required for reloading. That is of course unless you have a fist full of dollars and price doesn't matter. Haven't seen the anti gun factor of this so called stimulus bill, but you can bet that the anti's have run it up the pole in some way or another. We need another Charlton Heston to appear on the horizon.
1Shirt!:coffee:

NVcurmudgeon
02-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Another foray into the big city to give a friend a hand. Got a free lunch and good company out of the deal, so decided to press my luck. Went to Mark, Fore, and Strike, an all sports store but with heavy emphasis on guns and reloading. Long time Renoites call it "Mark, Fore, and Choke" because they are known for a good stock but high prices. They actually had 4M Federal SR and 200 Winchester SR primers in stock. 2M of the Federals went home with me for $34.98 each. They appeared to have plenty of jacketed bullets. I got 200 .22 Hornady 55 gr. V-Max for $23.65 per, and 100 Hornady .22 Hornet 45 gr. for $26.20. The Hornets were in the old-style box with the metal-reinforced corners...wonder how many times they have re-priced that one. I might go back and get the other box they had. Never paid this high before, but at least they had something besides bare boards in the reloading department. It's getting scary.

Urny
02-14-2009, 10:47 AM
A local rural gunshop in the hills above Ruby Valley has many thousands of Winchester primers in stock, and lots of those CCI military rifle primers as well. I bought 5,000 WLP's a couple of weeks ago for $25.00 per thousand. The owner buys in 140,000 lots he says, but didn't bother to explain why the odd number. No junk at all in this store, just lots of high end combat gamer players guns, and a goodly supply of nice single action revolvers. It's about an hour from here or so, counting the miles of frozen dirt roads, but worth the trip.

buck1
02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
I was at the chinamart yesterday ( I wanted to make sure the 270 msbrg they had for 250.00 was the junk I figured it was....it was) not a 22lr round in stock nada zip. In fact a quic glance at the ammo shelves showed lots of room and very little else.

^$##^##$&^%((%&&^^@!)^$%$##^^^...................Read as "lots of anti democratic party trash talk".