PDA

View Full Version : When do you know enough is enough.... lube question?

supv26
02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I just got some LLA and tried some out. I put a handful of my 230 grain TL CB's in a plastic tub, a few drops of the LLA and started tumbling. I added bulllets and tumbled some more and then added another handful of my CB's. I did this until I had around 400 CB's lubed.

I have read on this forum that you do not need very much of the LLA so I just dribbled a few drops each time I added a handful of CB's. I dumped all the CB's out on to some wax paper and stood them up to dry. They all have a coat on them but I was wondering if I had enough. Also, when they dry, should they not be touching each other and do I have to stand them up or can they be on their sides?

I compared them to a boolit that was not lubed and you can see the difference. Also, my fingers were sticky when I got done standing them all up.

osage
02-10-2009, 10:18 PM
The first time I used LLA was pretty much the way you did. I just got a good coating on the boolits. The next time I cut the LLA with mineral spirits. It coated easier and dried much faster. I have not sized after coating so I have never used two coats. Has worked well with 230g 45TL and with 311359 in my M1 carbine.

Boerrancher
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
If you can see the LLA on the boolits you have enough. I quit using LLA for tumble lubing and went to JPW. I couldn't stand the stickiness of it. For a while I was doing a coat of JPW after the LLA and sizing for my boolits over 2000 fps. Finally I gave up on the LLA and went with 2 coats of JPW.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

supv26
02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
How do you put the JPW on the boolits?

Baron von Trollwhack
02-11-2009, 06:44 PM
The proof of the pudding is in the shooting, er, ah.......... eating.

BvT

supv26
02-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I went ahead and did another tumble with the boolits I lubed last night. They seemed pretty dry to the touch but just a teeny bit sticky. Now they are REALLY sticky and obviously have lube on them. This batch may be lubed way too much so the next batch will only get it one time.

If someone coud tell me how to do the JPW lube treatment I may try that when these 2 bottles of LLA are gone.

zardoz
02-11-2009, 07:41 PM
My very first castings and reloadings were done using the TL230 for the 45ACP. Not having any LLA or other materials at the time, I used the JPW.

I put about a teaspoon or so of JPW in a baggie, with my boolits. It was about 25 or so for that first batch. The heat from my hands seemed to melt the JPW pretty good, and I gently tumbled them in the baggie. After that, removed from the baggie, and stood them up on wax paper to dry overnight. A tiny bit messy, but I don't mind that so much.

All I can say is that it seemed to work very well. The gun bore was clean, and accuracy was better than expected for my first venture. I would not hesitate to use that method again in a pinch.