PDA

View Full Version : Auto lubing ?

Wayne S
02-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Has anyone ever thought of a pulley that would fit on the lube tension stem and have small wire wound around it and the other end of the wire run through a pulley attached to the wall and a weight attached to the wire where the weight would provide a constant pull or tension on the lube stem to provide a constant supply of lube to the bullets INSTEAD of lubing a couple of bullets then having to stop and ratachet the handle on the lube stem ??

runfiverun
02-11-2009, 12:56 AM
nunhuh.
went straight to air cylinder....

dromia
02-11-2009, 02:52 AM
Have a look at Gussy's site, follow the Casting Stuff link at the bottom of the page.

Gussy
02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Has anyone ever thought of a pulley that would fit on the lube tension stem and have small wire wound around it and the other end of the wire run through a pulley attached to the wall and a weight attached to the wire where the weight would provide a constant pull or tension on the lube stem to provide a constant supply of lube to the bullets INSTEAD of lubing a couple of bullets then having to stop and ratachet the handle on the lube stem ??

Yes.

If you put about a 200 lb weight, it might work with soft lube. Or, use a spring "wire", a large heavy one.

Echo
02-11-2009, 04:06 PM
My Lachmiller has a device fixed to the handle that, if you place the ratchet wrench between the prongs, will crank the ratchet each time you pull the handle. Trouble is, it over-pressurizes the reservoir, with the occasional sight of a boolit growing rapidly up out of the die on a column of lube. I don't use it...

BABore
02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Use a Saeco that has a large die spring to pressurize the lube. You can do upwards of 50, 357 boolits, with touching it. 20 or so 458 boolits.

rmb721
02-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Cabine Tree loading Products: They have a ALF (auto lube feeder) for Lyman and RCBS luber-sizers. They are $40.00 plus $11.00 shipping.

I am well satisfied with the one I have. You just can't walk away with the tension cranked up.

carpetman
02-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Use to have to lube an auto every 1,000 miles but with the new sealed bearings etc you don't have to do it as often.

ept000
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Cabine Tree loading Products: They have a ALF (auto lube feeder) for Lyman and RCBS luber-sizers. They are $40.00 plus $11.00 shipping.

I am well satisfied with the one I have. You just can't walk away with the tension cranked up.

That looks pretty slick. How long did it take to learn how tight you had to crank it down to get the pressure right?

rmb721
02-11-2009, 11:09 PM
I think the instructions say to compress the spring about a half inch, but I don't tighten it that much. It is easy to operate. It is not hard to tell when you need to crank it down some more.

The stem (bolt) on your present sizer must be one that is removed from the bottom to be able to use this ALF.

You can buy a heavier spring, but I don't see any need for that.

I got mine used and it came with both springs, but I haven't used the stronger one and don't plan to.

Don't forget to release the pressure when leaving for a while or there will be lube all over around the die. Guess how I found this out.

ept000
02-11-2009, 11:55 PM
I may have to order one of those....

Lloyd Smale
02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I helped gussy test those cabintree units when he was developing them. they worked great. Id still be using them but dont have any lyman sizers left.