PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Why

StarMetal
01-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Pictured are four of the new Winchester hunting bullets that have been fired into ballistic media at different ranges. My question is, if you notice, the grooves on the bullet (which were put there by the lands in the bore of the barrel, are alternately of an uneven lenght on the bullets....WHY? How is that possible being that a bullet is round and so is the bore . Why one long, one short, the nest long, etc.? Here's the picture:

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/7385Winchester.JPG

Joe

Herb in Pa
01-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Joe......do you think that they might all be the same length, BUT the jackets have distorted and sort of folded over, the 3rd slug from the left kind of really looks like that.

versifier
01-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Joe,
It's really hard to tell in the posted picture if the bullets are photos, paintings, or digital art which could have elements of both and more. My guess is they hired an artist that didn't know the difference and who composed the image with more of an eye to artistic balance than to reality. It looks like the same base drawing was morphed into three others with different degrees of "expansion". If the possible artist in question had even basic photoshopping skills, or was using a more sophisticated graphics program, you wouldn't be able to tell it from a photograph without looking at the raw image on the bit level.

But it DOES look wrong and anyone who knows anything would pick up on it. What were they thinking when they released the image, anyway? It does makes them look rather chumpish (hey, I like that word) doesn't it? Do they think we're stupid? Or does their marketing department have a staff of clueless wonders?

If they ARE real photos, something serious is wrong with bullets, barrel, or both. I don't know if an out-of-round bullet would have a pattern like that. I would assume a really bad one would show the rifling impression as fainter than the ones on either side of it. How could it be partially inscribed like that? Dents in the bullets' bases? The same flaw in all of them? Not very likely. I think digital.

fatnhappy
01-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Joe,
My guess is they hired an artist that didn't know the difference and who composed the image with more of an eye to artistic balance than to reality.

While that's an easy photo to alter, I'm incredulous.

there's an even, odds, evens odds "discoloration" to the land markings that almost begs "I'm a poorly made 6 groove button rifled barrel"

Bullets from my ruger 7-08 look exactly the same.

Dye
01-22-2006, 02:34 AM
StarMetal
At what range and velocity were these bullets shot,are they the same bullets type ,size ,and weight?

Be carefull Dye

StarMetal
01-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Dye,

First the picture of the bullets is a real picture, not a computer animation or whatever. They didn't give the distance but I would imagine it was close because what they did was vary the velocity to make up for distance. The velocities were: 2700, 2400, 2200, and 1800 fps.

Joe

KS1911
01-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Joe,

I dunno. Maybe the jacket moved at a different rate on different places on the bullet. Notice where the bands appear to be short the curled petal above also appears to be longer.

I would guess that many things could cause this?
Jacket thickness not consistent on the same bullet?
Core moved differently on impact?
Difference in core bonding with the jacket?
A high land or section of land causing a difference in how deep the rifling was formed on the bullet in that section?

StarMetal
01-22-2006, 01:01 PM
I was thinking that, jacket stretch.

Joe

fatnhappy
01-23-2006, 12:46 AM
I was thinking that, jacket stretch.

Joe

I find that idea intrigueing. My barrel is really rough and fouls terribly, but it shoots J---- like a house on fire and i dare not touch it.

One thing that makes me go hmmm, what are those bullets? They look like a barnes X or fail safe. They're pretty stout.

StarMetal
01-23-2006, 12:54 AM
They are Winchesters brand new bullet. They are even better then the ones they made jointly with Nosler.

Joe