PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need

Nate1778
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Here is what I got, Turkey burner from my beer brewing days, various sizes of cheap pots and pans, an old kitchen ladle and strainer spoon. I also have pure lead and tin and an ole muffin pan. I know I need to order the bullet mold, but is the sizer needed, or is it just a good idea. What else do I need, I know a smelting pot would be nice but funding wise the turkey burner and pots will have to do. Need some advice but as most trying to do this on a budget till I figure out whether I like it or not.

44man
02-10-2009, 10:40 AM
NO aluminum pans for a start. Cast iron is best. Then I would get a thermometer so you can hold an even temp. Then you need a good ladle like the Lyman to pour boolits.
Next, the pure lead and tin is better for BP and you should mix it at least 50-50 with WW metal for smokeless. Straight WW's are better.
As far as sizing, we need a LOT more info concerning the guns dimensions and boolit mold chosen.
So don't stop now, tell us everything. :castmine:

Nate1778
02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Starting with a Lee .380 mold and .357, mostly what I am going to cast for is going to be pistol, target plinking ammo ~1000ftps. I have a acquired a bunch of roof flashing's and have 50% tin/ lead solder. Ladle I will order with the molds I guess. I have cheap stainless steel pots from beer brewing but also have some older stainless "sauce" pans for smaller batches. Whats the temp range for lead, or wheel weights?

Bret4207
02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
As soon as it starts pouring like syrup get filling the mould. Most guys cast somewhere between 650 and 800 degrees, depends on what your alloy and mould need to work together.

One of the best ladles I ever used I made from an old gravy ladle, worked great, but wasn't store bought, so I stopped using it. It ain't the tool, it's the man running it. You can get a PB mould and hand lube or tumble lube for plinkers in the 38 and 357 using the boolits as cast. I'd start with a Lee push through sizer in .359 if you want a GC design.

Get casting. If they look like crap, melt 'em till they behave!!!

Dean D.
02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
It sounds like you have a good start.

I would recommend getting the Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook" and read up. I have been casting for over 25 years and just purchased a copy for myself. There is a LOT of information packed into that book. My 3rd edition copy cost me $13.95 new at the local sports shop.

I learned casting from an uncle originally and have done well at it over the years. After reading this book I learned that I did not know many of the technical aspects and that by itself made the book well worth the money for me.

Welcome to a fun hobby! :drinks: