PDA

View Full Version : New Boolits tumble

Timberland
02-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Hi all, well I got to test out my own boolits, great experiance, but I managed to heveally lead my barrel, and got a few to tumble before they got to that point. Currently im using pure PB from sheat lead for casting, and lubing with my lee lube. Boolits are sized to .452 out of my .45apc. The Boolits are dropping at 260GR. What am I doing wrong?

Things im concidering doing, but wondering if I can do something else,
- get WW to harden the pure PB
- Pan lube with the 50/50 beeswax/olive oil combo (it seems like the easyist lube for me to make)

dubber123
02-10-2009, 06:33 AM
I would definately get some harder lead, the sheathing is dead soft as you know, and also the reason your boolits are on the heavy side. The rifling in most ACP's is very shallow, and it's easy to get a soft boolit to scoot right on by, without gripping.

I would also probably go with the pan lube, as I'm not a big LLA fan, although many here use it successfully. Good luck.

Tn_River_Ratt
02-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Way too soft. Trade that pure lead off to someone shooting a muzzleloader and get ya some wheel weights to make boolits out of.

As far as lube, I use 50/50/alox mix and have had good results.

Just my $.02
Ratt

randyrat
02-10-2009, 06:51 AM
What kind of pressure/ velocity were you at? I can shoot all day long with 50 WWs and 50 soft lead tumble lubed boolits and look down a clean barrel.
You have to match your alloy with pressure/velocity. Of course, other things have to be in line also,such as, boolit fit to the chamber/bore.

cajun shooter
02-10-2009, 08:40 AM
It sounds to me that you need to purchase The Lyman Cast Bullet Book before doing anymore casting. I've been casting since 1971 and still refer to it from time to time . It's a book for all casters. Dubber123 is correct in that the acp bbl has very little lands and grooves and it needs a correct sized and hardness bullet to perform. It was designed to shoot the bullets with jackets not lead.

GabbyM
02-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Whenever I hear Lee lube and leading the first question I think of is. How long did you let the lube dry?
I've heard it needs two days but a couple of guys have told me they need a week to cure it before they shoot clean.

I'd agree that you need to harden them up a little. Half WW or a little tin.

Timberland
02-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I need to find WW, Im using 5.6 5.4 and 5.0 loads of w231, I guess I could go lower I only need 650fps to make power factor.

Also I think I over crimped the boolits, I pulled a few and they had a nice constriction mark around them, no shaving though.

runfiverun
02-11-2009, 01:41 AM
if you have some tin you could try 30-1 then 25-1 or 20-1.
and that should stop the leading also.
work with what ya got till you can find something else.
you could also add some tin and get some antimony to add.

Slogg76
02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I think you just need slightly harder alloy. I just used some Lee Liquid Alox and their 230 grain TC tumble lube bullet for the very first time this past weekend. Using straight wheel weights, the bullets dropped at a very consistent 235 grains. I tumble lubed them as cast since they measured right at .452. I let them dry over night. Loaded (over 4.5 grains Bullseye) and shot 100 of them through my XD-45 the next day. No leading at all. Accuracy was also quite good. Better results than I was getting with more traditional lube grooved bullets and my Lyman 450.

z4lunch
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Steve here... Didi you slug your bore...My Sig slugs at just under .453. I have now been sizing to .454
Steve

Timberland
02-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Steve here... Didi you slug your bore...My Sig slugs at just under .453. I have now been sizing to .454
Steve

What should I use to slug the barrel? will a lubed unsized boolit do the trick?

xr650
02-12-2009, 12:35 AM
What should I use to slug the barrel? will a lubed unsized boolit do the trick?

An unsized boolit will work. Don't need the lube though. Oil your barrel well and tap it thru with a wood dowel.