PDA

View Full Version : How to add a bottom feed to my smelting pail

Reddot
02-10-2009, 01:58 AM
I picked up a heavy stainless steel dairy pail at the Salvation Army store last week. It is nice and wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. I was wondering if there was a way to add a spigot so that I could pour from the bottom of the pail?

Directions would have to be very clear since I'm not familiar with metal working. However, I do work at a home improvement store so I have access to lots of pieces parts.

Goatlips
02-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Reddot,

A better bet might just be to cast with a dipper. Unless you're real handy, keeping heat on the bucket, adding a spout not made for the purpose, and controlling the flow (and drips) you might be better off just getting the Lee large pot. I sure admire your idea though - I'll bet some folks here might accept your challenge. Good luck! :drinks:

Goatlips

snaggdit
02-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Short of welding on a threaded fitting (stainless), I don't see how you could keep a valve sealed. Any gasket would crumble under the heat. Then there is the valve itself. Possibly a 1/2" all stainless ball valve, with a pair of nuts inside and outside. How about hi-temp muffler goop? And you will need to drill a hole. Big holes in stainless... Pain. High speed steel gets dull quick on stainless, go with carbide bits (costly in this size). If you do this, start with a smaller hole and then try the larger.

That said, by the time you are done, you would be close to a Lee large pot in price, with no guarantee of it working.

That being said as well, I would try it myself, but I just love challenges...

Cap'n Morgan
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Reddot,

Bottom-pour on a smelter is one of those things that sounds like a great idea until you actually try it. :sad:

I added a simple spigot type valve on my smelting pot, hoping to avoid dross in my ingots, but quickly learned that it was almost impossible to regulate the flow due to the high pressure from the molten lead. If I wasn't extremely careful the molten lead would splash all over - a bit like trying to dump powder with the scale pan a few inches from the nozzle.
Now I use an old soup ladle to do my pouring.

Reddot
02-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I was wondering about the seal and thought that would be the biggest challenge to overcome. Oh well, it was a good idea. Since I am being frugal a carbide drill bit and stainless steel parts doesn't sound like like something that is in my price range.

In the future I'll get Lee's large pot, but that is only for lead that is ready to be made into bullets, not for cleaning it up.

deltaenterprizes
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
How thick are the walls of the pot? I made a replacement spout for my RCBS Pro Melt, it rusted out after 25 years and being under saltwater for 3 weeks in Katrina.
The tricky part is getting the right shape of the valve seat and the valve plug and lining up the parts to open and close the valve.
I did it with a piece of 18'' pipe 18'' deep and made a pot that would hold 500 lbs of WW un- melted, but I had a welding instructor and a machinist instructor to assist me.

Don't risk wasting a good find buy a nice ladle and use it the way it is.

dragonrider
02-10-2009, 01:09 PM
"Bottom-pour on a smelter is one of those things that sounds like a great idea until you actually try it."
I have a bottom pour on the smelter I built, works very well. Do it you won't regret it.

oneokie
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
A gas valve, or a water stop and waste valve would work for controling flow. If drawing from the bottom of the pot, a street L welded to the bottom of the pot, and a short nipple to attach the valve, then another nipple and street L to direct the flow to your ingot moulds.

Use an adjustable wrench to manipulate the valve. Keep everything as compact as you can. Consider having a propane torch close to warm the valve, spigot when ready to pour.

kenjuudo
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
This bottom pour has been in service since the early '80s. never a drip.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=707

jim

deltaenterprizes
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
This bottom pour has been in service since the early '80s. never a drip.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=707

jim

Which one? There a few in that thread!

Charlie Sometimes
02-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm going to build me one like the first photo in that thread kenjuudo posted- that looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread! I want to know where he got that ingot mold in the same picture. It's so long he couldn't get it all in the photo! I have/use practically the same set up, except for the bottom pour add-on, so it shouldn't be taht difficult for me to modify my equipment. GREAT IDEA.

high standard 40
02-10-2009, 08:15 PM
The ingot mold in that photo is a homemade one using sections of angle iron welded together. I've considered making one of those myself. All the welds would probably need to be ground smooth so the ingots will be sure to drop.

Charlie..........