PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #446110 in .43 Mauser

rocklock
04-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Anyone using this bullet in their M71/84 Mausers? I've had good results with the RCBS bullet but I picked this mould up for a song at a flea market.

Buckshot
04-06-2005, 04:37 AM
Anyone using this bullet in their M71/84 Mausers? I've had good results with the RCBS bullet but I picked this mould up for a song at a flea market.

............Yup, use it in a sporterized (NOT by Me!) M71/84. Have also cast it of pure lead, paper patched it and shot it from my Whitworth and Rigby muzzle loaders for a light 100 yard boolit, but that's not gonna help you much, eh? That's the only slug I had for my 11mm Mauser repeater until a friend advised me RCBS had that slug. It's a duplicate designwise of their 43 Spanish slug.

..............Buckshot

rocklock
04-06-2005, 07:40 PM
............Yup, use it in a sporterized (NOT by Me!) M71/84. Have also cast it of pure lead, paper patched it and shot it from my Whitworth and Rigby muzzle loaders for a light 100 yard boolit, but that's not gonna help you much, eh?

Actually, it does...I was gonna do the same thing and try in in my 11x59R Gras.

That's the only slug I had for my 11mm Mauser repeater until a friend advised me RCBS had that slug. It's a duplicate designwise of their 43 Spanish slug.

..............Buckshot

Just out of curiosity, which bullet worked best in your Mauser...the RCBS or the Lyman?

Buckshot
04-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Actually, it does...I was gonna do the same thing and try in in my 11x59R Gras.

Cool beans! Well there ya go.

Just out of curiosity, which bullet worked best in your Mauser...the RCBS or the Lyman?

To tell the truth they're both about the same accuracy wise. Both meet my 50 yard criteria of 1.5" or less and both ring the 200 meter gong with no problem. The RCBS is a tad heavier and has a longer bearing surface. Probably also easier to paper patch as it has more and smaller lube grooves. The Lyman has those 2 big grooves the paper has to deal with.

Another good slug is the Lyman Whitworth 475gr slug. It drops from my mould at about .452". Pan lube'em and then send'em up through a nose first die to size to .446" or whatever you need. As a Loverin type, they size down nice and easy. I pan lube and shoot'em as is from my M71 single shot.

I hit a 1'x2' steel plate with it at 600 yards back in 2000 at the first Nevada Cast Lead Shoot (pre Winnemucca) and that was in a freaking hurricane too! Looked like the whole state was getting up and blowing away.

...............Buckshot