PDA

View Full Version : Who Has a 357 16" Puma/Rossi etc?

Fish_N_Russ
02-09-2009, 07:05 AM
How do you like it?
I am having a hard time deciding 20" vs 16", so im lookin for imput :drinks:
Also on capactiy, can anyone get 9 38 specials in the tube?

thanks

corvette8n
02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a 16" Puma in .45 Colt, its a hoot to shoot.

madman
02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
A friend of mine just sold his he hated it with a passion. He tried a bunch of factory loadings and his own reloads and could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. I shot it and also used my reloads. I could not hit a clay pigeon at 20 feet sitting still. I can drop prairie dogs at 500 yards.
So can he. I have seen this guy shoot running rabbits at 300 plus yards all the time. So it was not us or our loads. This gun was purchased new in the box and sold to a gun smith as a project gun

chickenstripe
02-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I own an 1894C in 38/357...... it has an 18.5" barrel which would put you right in between your barrel lengths.

I've developed 158gr j-bullet loads that will stay within 1.5" at 100yds @ 1750fps leaving the muzzle, and just this weekend I loaded some RCBS 35-200-FN in 38special cases. I left the boolits unchecked and you can see the results here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=45525

It even has the "dreaded-microgroove" rifling. [smilie=1:

I never load more than 4+1 in my rifle, so I can't comment on the capacity. If memory serves, the marlin site used to say 9+1 capacity.

chickenstripe

crazy mark
02-09-2009, 11:15 PM
I had one until it was stolen. I got 160-190 bullets to shoot 2-3" at 75 yds. I now have a 20" barrel Puma and a 1894C and I'm starting over working up loads. I sized my bullets .359 for the 16" tube. Mark

Seafarer12
02-10-2009, 12:03 AM
I have a 20 inch Navy Arms and I really like it. I had to do a little tuning to it but I would take it over a Marlin any day of the week. A 16 inch would be interesting. I doubt you would loose much velocity out of it just loose some capacity.

Fire_stick
02-10-2009, 02:33 AM
I love my Rossi 92, 20", 357. It shoots fine groups with the right loads. Not all factory ammo cycles, but reloading allows me to find the right combo that does. At 20" and ~6.5#, it is my fovorite woods carry gun. 1 in the chamber and 10 in the tube (357), 11(38's) . All my other guns are jealous.

Hipshot
02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
RUNNING RABBITS AT 300 YDS.-------------WOW !!!!!!!! [smilie=1::Fire::roll:

Thin Man
02-11-2009, 08:42 AM
I've been working up loads for a 16" early model over the past while. What this rifle has told me so far is that the 16" length is very handy to carry and handle. The original rear sight is gone, and the rifle now wears a Lyman receiver sight. The longer signt radius compensates nicely for the short barrel to gain group accuracy. This rifle prefers heavier (158-180) weight boolits rather than lighter (110-125) weights. The boolits are the only variable I've been juggling so far, using #2400 powder and standard primers in all loads. Once I have settled on the boolit, there will be time to try other powders. Overall loaded length is critical to functioning, as is nose configuration. That is another fun part of the equation. I see more of the longer barrels being offered than the 16". Regardless of which length you get, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed this one.
Thin Man

Boerrancher
02-11-2009, 11:54 AM
A good friend of mine has one of the Rossi's in a 20 in barrel. The above posts are correct that it doesn't like the lighter boolit wts. It shoots great with 158 gr and above. I would not feel handicapped at all packing his Rossi in the woods looking for a deer. As a matter of fact I have one in a 45LC that I pack all over the place. My 45LC shoots well enough that I can bust clay birds on the berm at 150 yds all day long and never miss. As a matter of fact I am going to probably pick up another one just like it that I found at a gun shop yesterday. It is the older style like mine with out the safety, but new in the Box. I am thinking that I will pick it up next week if it is still there.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

madman
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Yep running rabbits at 300 + yards. measured with Swarovski range finder! We have also bombed sod poodles out past 400 yds with .22 long rifles. We also have a 1 day record of 275 jack in 1 day with just 3 people. (mostly shotguns, 22-250 and 220 swifts.)Have not seen many bunnies in a couple of years one or two here an there. We can both out shoot my cousin that is a Swat sniper. Yup sorry not trying to hijack thread just tootn my own horn. Smile life is to short.

felix
02-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Why not go for treetop blackbirds swaying in the wind at two hunnert or more? That is varmint shooting. ... felix

cajun shooter
02-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey Joe, I also have the 20in bbl in 45 Colt and it's a pre-safety. Case full of 2F pushing a 250gr and it's a tack driver. 5 shots that can covered with a Quarter at 25yds. It has the Missouri black walnut wood. I was told by Steve Young to watch out if buying the case colored receiver though as they didn't have the process down and some receivers are warped. Now that would be a easy target for someone who could shoot running rabbits at 300 yds Felix. Why not shoot the branch that they are perched on, that would be a more fitting challenge.

Boerrancher
02-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I think I may have to go pick up that Rossi tomorrow. I can't stand it any longer. I know I already have one and it is a shooter, but I also have 3 young boys that are going to be needin' good lever guns to fend off the varmints as they get older. It is kinda hard to beat that 45LC in a rifle with a good sturdy action. The one that I am looking at is blue not case coloured. It just like the one I currently have has a beautiful black walnut stock on it with a rubbed oil finish just like the original 92's The only difference between this one and the one I currently own is mine has a saddle ring on it. Not sure why it is the only Rossi I have ever seen with a saddle ring. It came that way out of the box. My good friend ordered one at the exact same time in a 357 and it didn't have the saddle ring. The one that I am going to buy doesn't have the saddle ring either.

Joe

Fish_N_Russ
02-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Speaking of wood, why do the Puma's have such short stocks? Can a person get an aftermarket set thats longer? Im 6'3" and Marlin stocks are a good 3-4" longer it seems than the Puma/Rossi ones. Maybe people are smaller in Brazil..??

helice
02-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Joe
Go get that Puma. You know it wants to go home with you. I have the good fortune of having the 20" Stainless Steel in 45 Colt. Oh what a honey! You can't beat the 45 Colt in a rifle and the Pumas are "strong like tractor". Buy it for the boys. That's the best reason in the world. Then go have a bunch of fun growing up with them. Keep writing! I'm learning. Helice

Boerrancher
02-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Joe
Go get that Puma. You know it wants to go home with you. I have the good fortune of having the 20" Stainless Steel in 45 Colt. Oh what a honey! You can't beat the 45 Colt in a rifle and the Pumas are "strong like tractor". Buy it for the boys. That's the best reason in the world. Then go have a bunch of fun growing up with them. Keep writing! I'm learning. Helice

I am just a few dollars shy of having what the dealer wants for it. I am not worried about it going any where, as I think I am the only one in the county that shoots a 45LC. I want it because it doesn't have the safety on the bolt like the newer ones but it is NIB, which tells me the dealer has had it a while. I was going to pick it up the other day, and just rob the cookie jar for the few extra bucks, but I didn't make it back into town. I may run up there and put it on layaway just so the guy will hold it for me, as I know I will have the money by the end of the month.

Joe

Boerrancher
02-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Speaking of wood, why do the Puma's have such short stocks? Can a person get an aftermarket set thats longer? Im 6'3" and Marlin stocks are a good 3-4" longer it seems than the Puma/Rossi ones. Maybe people are smaller in Brazil..??

That is the same length of stock as the original 92 winnie. The only difference is some of the 92's had a crescent butt plate that they eventually moved away from in later years, thank goodness, the crescent butt plate was a bit hard on shoulders and collar bones.

Joe

Old Ironsights
02-15-2009, 10:51 PM
My Stainless EMF-Rossi .357 is a 20". I think it handles better than a 16" everywhere except maybe for house-clearing... and I use it quite successfully for everything from squirrels to 200m Steel Rams.

Old Ironsights
02-15-2009, 10:53 PM

Because the proper hold for a crescent butplate stock is between the bicep & shoulder, not in the shoulder pocket... thus, a shorter stock.

WHen "shouldered" in the notch between the bicep & shoulder joint the crecent does not beat you up at all.

But put it on your collar bone? (shudder)