PDA

View Full Version : Noob here..

weedwhacker
02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to say hello.

I'm plan on getting into the world of casting and reloading soon. Buddy and I have split the cost of reloading equipment and hopefully will be able to use as much free resources to get the cost of ammo as low as possible.

I'm 34 yrs old, new to firearms. Currently my firearms interest are 1911's, AR-15's and 10/22's

.45ACP is going to be my first reloading experience, been doing allot of reading around here and some books.. I think I can get it done!!!

Casting is something that once we get the hang of reloading will be phase two..

Aaron

RugerFan
02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Welcome. You've definitely come to the right place. Pull up a chair and immerse yourself in the ways of the silver stream. :coffee:

Kuato
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Welcome aboard!

Warning: Casting is severely addictive. Boolit molds tend to reproduce when you're not looking!

This & reloading are 2 of my favorite hobbies. I think you'll have a great time!

weedwhacker
02-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm hoping there is some sort of firearm birth control, as if the safe needs to continually grow I might be asking for a govt hand out:-D

Warning: Casting is severely addictive. Boolit molds tend to reproduce when you're not looking!

jhrosier
02-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Welcome weedwhacker (Aaron),

You couldn't have come to a better place to learn about boolit casting and handloading.

What kind of loading press are you planning to use?

Jack

weedwhacker
02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Hornady LNL has been on back order from midwayusa for about 2 weeks now, they also keep pushing the date out..... grrrrr

Went with midwayusa as we thought we would get a "fresh" unit. Heard rumors there was an upgrade to the ejection. But at this point its been weeks, on order. True or not they also had good pricing. The local BM stores all basically say YUP i can order that... General opinion if they had it in stock we would have purchased it but if there just gonna order it "we can do that" and benifit from the savings.

Plan on using LEE dies. OR whatever comes off backorder!!!

In the wait time i been collecting brass at the range.. So its not a 100% bad thing..

Bigjohn
02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm hoping there is some sort of firearm birth control, as if the safe needs to continually grow I might be asking for a govt hand out:-D

You might need birthcontrol for the gunsafes as well. I started out with two and now I have four. [smilie=1:

Welcome to the Silver stream.

John.

Bret4207
02-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Weedwacker- Welcome aboard. On the press, take some advice and pick up a cheap Lee or other press in the $30.00 range. I have a LNL on back order also, in fact I've been charged for it. But I also have 5 or 6 single stage presses. Learning on a single stage is a lot easier than learning on a progressive and you can use the single for other duties too. It's the same idea as starting off with a 1 or 2 cavity mould, no matter how cool those 6 bangers sounds. You take 75% of the extra problems out by learning on the slow one.

Wayne Smith
02-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the welcomes!

Easy, listen to the wife! Unless you have one that tries to outspend you!

weedwhacker
02-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I have been thinking the same thing, since the press is still on BO. A single stage would be nice just to learn some basics on.

Now to locate a local cheap used one.

You take 75% of the extra problems out by learning on the slow one.

Tom Herman
02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Welcome aboard! You'll eventually get the press... Try loading for the .45's first. Rememer to taper crimp instead of roll crimping. I've got a 1,000+ .45 ACP's awaiting me here when I can get to them.
Reloading and casting are addictive.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Old Ironsights
02-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to say hello. ...
.45ACP is going to be my first reloading experience, been doing allot of reading around here and some books.. I think I can get it done!!!...

Good one to start with. Short cases, easy to fill, hard to buckle.

Your best bet for a 1st timer is......

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1234215640.4359=/html/catalog/rlpress2.html#LeeAnniversaryPack ($39.98)

READ THE "FREE" BOOK. There are (arguably) "better" reloading manuals, but few as comprehensive on the theory.

Plus, order:
90513 3_DIE_SET_45ACP_CARBIDE $39.98
90230 AUTO_PRIME~ $19.98

$100 + shipping gets you everything you "need" except a scale & loading block.

Or, you can go REALLY cheap and get the "Lee (whack-it) Loader" and have EVERYTHING you "need" for $35. (I'd get one of these anyway, regardless of anything else you buy..)

copdills
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
welcome to the forum , you wil learn lots here , these guys are great at helping out

Kraschenbirn
02-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the asylum! Pour yourself a cup of coffee, drag up a rock, and don't be bashful about asking question or offering opinions.

Bill