PDA

View Full Version : "The Load"

Hang Fire
02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
As I peruse the web looking at cast bullet loads, I am rather surprised to find so called experts putting down Ed Harris for his "The Load" of 13 grains of Red Dot in strong bolt action .30 caliber military rifles. Dangerous, useless, not recommended, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

But yet, in my Lyman Third Edition Cast Bullet Handbook, (which I purchased in 1980) I find almost the same identical (some even a bit stiffer) loads of Red Dot for cast bullets recommended for the .308. 30-06, 7.65 Argentine & .303.

In the 300 H&H, the powder charge goes up, but especially more so for the 300 Win Mag, as in 19.5 grains of Red Dot for Lyman 311466 150 grain at 39,000 C.U.P and 1910 fps.

So, IMHO, Ed Harris's "The Load," is not only a very appropriate load for strong bolt action .30's, but almost identical to ones recommended by Lyman for about 30 years.

I want to thank Ed for publicizing "The Load," for even with the info right under my nose, (dog eared LCBHB) he sure opened me up to utilizing some of that bulk Red Dot of mine which has been sitting unused for years

jhrosier
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
It is also worth mentioning that reading the information in the article will provide a safe starting load for nearly any cartridge of the same approximate size. This could be very useful if one happens to be looking for loading data for one of the real oddball calibers, like the 5x58RD.

I believe that the critics of Mr.Harris' work are the sort of folks that just can't abide handloading less than full throttle loads. There is a whole 'nuther world of subsonic, small game, and plinker loads, just waiting to be discovered.:drinks:

Jack

shooter93
02-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Ed Harris has forgotten more about cast bullets than most of us will ever know.

Bigjohn
02-08-2009, 10:31 PM
There is nothing wrong with the 'Load'; I have used it myself in .308" Win.

Information was incorrect, removed by Bigjohn
John

Johnch
02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
When I last talked to Alliant about Promo
And ask if it could be used insted of Reddot for "The Load"
I was told they have never oficaly tested Red dot or Promo for "The Load"
But they knew of it
And Promo could be used

I have fired thousands of rounds of "The Load" in 308 , 30/06 , 7x57 8x57 and 7.62x54

John

Bret4207
02-09-2009, 08:03 AM
There is nothing wrong with the 'Load'; I have used it myself in .308" Win.

However, care must be taken (as with any reduced load) to avoid SEE. This would be the only rider on using the 'Load' I could see.

John

SEE reportedly only occurs with slow powders, not fast ones like RD. RD is pretty position insensitive, doesn't seem affected by temperature variations much and lights with most any primers from what I've seen. All in all I like "The Load" and have a Lyman 55 set and locked at 13.0 Red Dot. It's use isn't limited to bolt actions either- it works fine as a low pressure load in most any cartridge of at least 7x57/35 Rem capacity, firearm type not withstanding.

jh45gun
02-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Never tried Red Dot but Harris'es article on 2400 for the "Load" for milsurps got me hooked oun using 2400 for all my cast rifle loads.

jonk
02-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I find 11 grains is more accurate in most guns I've shot, but have gone up to 14 with no issues. And by 'strong' we're talking pretty much any bolt action, even the old krag. Don't think I'd try it in a trapdoor or Vetterli 6.5 or the like but for anything else, no problem. I've also used it with jacketed bullets with no problem. There is the slight chance that the very fast Red Dot could loosen the core from the jacket and leave a jacket in the barrel, but with FMJ I don't see that happening. Maybe with soft points but I rarely shoot them.