PDA

View Full Version : Black powder cartridge boolit lube?

Hang Fire
01-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Can one use smokeless powder lube when shooting black powder cartridge boolits? I have heard yea & nay, but will defer to the experts here for final word on the question.

bubblehead
01-21-2006, 03:39 PM
It is my understanding that boolit lube in BPCR's serves to keep the fouling soft from beginning to end. Leading is not a factor.

Here are a couple of links regarding lubes;

http://www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm (look for link to the left)
http://groups.msn.com/BPCR/bulletlubes.msnw

As you can see, everyone has a diffrent idea as to what works.

44man
01-21-2006, 03:57 PM
NO, they contain petroleum products that turn fouling into something you don't want, like tar. Use natural stuff and be happy.

powderburnerr
01-21-2006, 04:12 PM
yOU CAN BUT IT WILL NOT BE A GOOD EXPERIANCE ....HARD CLEANING, NON EXISTANT .ACCURACY... iF YOU WANT TO TRY BLACK JUST USE A COULPE OZS OF BEESWAX AND A BIT OF VEG OIL TO GET THE CONSISTANCY YOU WANT MAYBE ADD LARD ... IF YOU WANT ............. dEAN

wills
01-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Use that second link bubblehead posted. Those folks mostly shoot BPCRS in competition and know whereof they speak (or write)

44man
01-21-2006, 06:33 PM
I am cap&ball on that site

hydraulic
01-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Deer tallow and bee's wax, half and half.

Chuck 100 yd
01-22-2006, 01:53 AM
SPG is the best I have found. Tallow and bees wax is second (50/50). Dont use petrol products or you will have a gummy mess.
Chuck

McLintock
01-22-2006, 12:41 PM
What everyone's said already and the two links given are excellent ones; a couple others are shilohrifle.com, assra.com (American Single Shot Rifle Association), theopenrange.net and frontierspot.org. Look under the cartridge loading sections and most have stickys dedicated to lubes. Everybody likes their own mix but a simple and dependable one is 1/2 beeswax and 1/2 crisco in whatever amount you want (cup to a cup or pint to a pint, whatever); you can even put in a 1/2 cup of olive or vegetable oil to enhance it. Some guys get so involved in their lube receipes that many of the ingredients are hard to find. I use one that has beeswax, Murphy's Oil Soap, Neatsfoot Oil and Virgin (it's got to be from Virgins) Olive Oil, but it doesn't work any better than the basic one above, just makes me feel better.
McLintock

drinks
01-22-2006, 01:04 PM
A person I know has been shooting BP over 30 years and has tried a bunch of lubes, he now uses 50-50 bee'swax and peanut oil, both cartridge and patched ball and is satisfied.

felix
01-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Yes, Drinks, peanut oil would be one of the better ones because it has probably the highest burn temperature of the natural oils. Also, it burns towards the white side, rather than the black, meaning the carbon content would be finally quite low. I make felix lube with it when I think about it and available in the pantry. ... felix

Hang Fire
01-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Yes, Drinks, peanut oil would be one of the better ones because it has probably the highest burn temperature of the natural oils. Also, it burns towards the white side, rather than the black, meaning the carbon content would be finally quite low. I make felix lube with it when I think about it and available in the pantry. ... felix

Thanks guys, you have all given great information.

HF