PDA

View Full Version : More leading advise...

the_ursus
02-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Ok, so I slugged the all chambers in my Super Redhawk .44 cylinder and they are all the same (.432). Then I slugged the barrel @ just a hair under .430 (.4295) so decided to size at .431. Now, I think the .431 sizer was a good choice since it's a tad larger than the bore but the lead in my barrel after 18 rounds of 265 plain base and 8gr. of Unique is telling me otherwise!! Not to mention my 6" group at 15yds was less than settling.

I need to get rid of the leading before I can start working on accuracy. Where do you suggest I go from here.

Echo
02-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Size your boolits .433 - sholud be same or .001 larger than throat. Might have to use a harder alloy to come up to size.

Bret4207
02-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Ed's got the answer I would give. In run of the mill loads you can go as large as the cylinder chambers will accept in a gun like the Redhawk.

the_ursus
02-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I was hoping that I didn't need another sizer but I'll be putting in an order now. Seating a .431 goes in noticeably harder than the .430's I'd been shooting. It will be interesting to go up another couple thousandths.

mtgrs737
02-08-2009, 02:08 PM
You may want to get a larger expanding plug for you die, I usually run them .001" under bullet diameter. Most die companies will have the larger expanding plugs, Redding sent me one for free with just an Email. Good luck!

Bret4207
02-09-2009, 07:38 AM
737 brought up a good point, you may be distorting your boolit with an undersize expander. I never remember to change expanders, or order them for that matter, till I mangle some boolits.

44man
02-09-2009, 09:22 AM
It sounds like your boolit is too soft, you are sizing while seating and the fast powder is upsetting the boolit trying to make it fit but is most likely leaking gas past the boolit too.
Personally, I would water drop WW's, size to .431 right away and let them age. They will expand to .432 in a week.
It sounds like you have the RD boolit so the next thing I would do is to dump the LLA and use a good lube.
I would NOT expand more and would keep case tension above all.
For example, I was scrounging in my mold drawer and found a mold I cut last year for a 300 gr .44 boolit. I never cast any or shot any and had forgotten about the mold. I cast some and they have now expanded to .432". I loaded 5 and ran down to shoot them at 50 yd's. My range is solid muck with the suface thawed 2". I had sandbag trouble too giving me some verticle dispersion. Not a pleasant range session and even got my little machine stuck trying to get back up the hill. 6" deep gullys from the wheels.
BUT, the boolit surprised me and if I fix the bag problem, I forsee a one hole group.
Here is my first group at 50 yd's from my old SBH.

44man
02-09-2009, 09:44 AM
By the way, I have the RD 265 gr boolit too and it is averaging 1-1/4" at 100 yd's. I use Felix lube and cast from water dropped WW's. It is a wonderful boolit.
Neck tension, neck tension, neck tension and EVEN neck tension from case to case! :Fire:
I have always stressed to use a HARDER boolit when using faster powders too.
Stay away from oversize expanders, make the boolit work instead. If you mangle boolits, fix the boolit, not the brass.
Sorry Bret but I never see groups posted or proof that I am wrong. I get VERY uptight when a boolit averages over 1" at 50 yd's from a revolver. :drinks:

runfiverun
02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
the first thing i would try is a new lube.
with throats that big compared to the bbl.
especially if you are seeing lots of smoke,but poor groups and leading usually equals too small / too hard to me.
when the boolit fits well, harder is usually better.
i would try the biggest size you can get to chamber and a new lube first.

44man
02-09-2009, 11:59 AM
the first thing i would try is a new lube.
with throats that big compared to the bbl.
especially if you are seeing lots of smoke,but poor groups and leading usually equals too small / too hard to me.
when the boolit fits well, harder is usually better.
i would try the biggest size you can get to chamber and a new lube first.
Yep, small boolits are a problem, bad lube is a problem and making undersize boolits softer will also be a problem. Must fix the boolit first.

the_ursus
02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Here are my thoughts on this so far:

1. IF I get a new expander, is there a way to measuring before I purchase? I'd hate to go too big.

2. If I opt to firm up the slugs instead of getting a case expander, how much harder should I go? I'm casting at 10 bhn but just looking for somthing to hunt with. I'll likely try this method first since it seems to be more economical. (thanks .44man)

3. I must confess, I don't know what lube I have in my sizer but it's pretty old. Should I dump it since I have a fresh stick of Thompson cold lube on hand? (I think I already know the answer to this)

44man
02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Here are my thoughts on this so far:

1. IF I get a new expander, is there a way to measuring before I purchase? I'd hate to go too big.

2. If I opt to firm up the slugs instead of getting a case expander, how much harder should I go? I'm casting at 10 bhn but just looking for somthing to hunt with. I'll likely try this method first since it seems to be more economical. (thanks .44man)

3. I must confess, I don't know what lube I have in my sizer but it's pretty old. Should I dump it since I have a fresh stick of Thompson cold lube on hand? (I think I already know the answer to this)
10 BHN is too soft. The .44 does not need to expand and the RD, LEE 310 gr, LBT WLN or WFN will smash deer or anything at 20 BHN. Use water dropped WW metal. 50-50 WW and pure is also good if water dropped.
Your lube should be OK if it is soft, I hate hard lubes. I use Felix and the hardest I will go is LBT Blue or Lar's carnauba red.
Harden the boolit and forget another expander.
Now there is something I overlooked and that is your load. You need to spin up the boolit and if you use 22 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer you will see how accurate the boolit is. 265 gr is pretty heavy and light loads don't work at all. Save the fast powder for light boolits and can shooting stuff at close range.
The SRH is a wonderful gun and can outshoot a lot of deer rifles at 200 yd's.
Once a boolit is the right size and hardness, the brass is the most important component for accuracy, don't mess with the brass.
Next is the primer, unless it is way below zero, stay away from mag primers in the .44.
It is SOOOOO easy to make a revolver shoot if you forget all the off the wall theories and stick to basics. Boolit fit, boolit hardness, match of velocity to twist, even and decent case tension, hot ignition without pressure, just a firm crimp so boolits don't move under recoil and YOU behind the gun.
As you can see by my target, it was ME that caused the up and down hits. I felt it when shooting because the barrel rose higher for one shot and did not rise as high for the low hit. My loads shoot 10X better then I can shoot them. I am the failure! :drinks: I am the weak point!
DON'T over expand brass to make a soft boolit work, it does not work! :Fire:

the_ursus
02-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Next chance I get, I'll be mix'n up some harder lead and beefing up the charge. I'll be back when I have more to report. Thanks for all the explaining 44man!

Tom Herman
02-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I use 50/50 wheel weights to lead, with 2% Tin for good fillout, and water drop them after casting. Lube wise, I make my own version of SPG.
My .45 LC load is 8 grains of Unique, very close to what you use for the .44 Mag.
I only have a SPL in .44, so I load with 6.5 grains Unique there.
All my loadings give good accuracy and little to no leading from .38SPL to .455 Webley.
Good Luck! -Tom

mike in co
02-09-2009, 05:39 PM
boolit size is about correct.....boolit should just slip thru the cylinder....
my cylinders are 4312/4314...i pour 432/434...size to 4316......felix lube, 300 grs at 1050/1100 fps...no leading.

bump up the charge before anything else IF THE BOOLIT IS HARD ENOUGH. else water drop ww, and then bump the charge........why shoot 44 spcial loads from a 44 mag ??? that load is around 18k psi and 1000 fps.....try a different powder if you want a low velocity.

mike in co

Bret4207
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
By the way, I have the RD 265 gr boolit too and it is averaging 1-1/4" at 100 yd's. I use Felix lube and cast from water dropped WW's. It is a wonderful boolit.
Neck tension, neck tension, neck tension and EVEN neck tension from case to case! :Fire:
I have always stressed to use a HARDER boolit when using faster powders too.
Stay away from oversize expanders, make the boolit work instead. If you mangle boolits, fix the boolit, not the brass.
Sorry Bret but I never see groups posted or proof that I am wrong. I get VERY uptight when a boolit averages over 1" at 50 yd's from a revolver. :drinks:

Well, no need to apologize, this is all opinion anyway. What I was referring to is when you distort and mangle a boolit by using a fairly soft boolit, as many of us do with good results, and use an expander that's too small or otherwise mess the boolit up. Maybe you've never done it, but I have and when crimping too.

GSPKurt
02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Excellent info here- I'm glad I read this thread.