PDA

View Full Version : Taxidermy Biggest Buck, Bear, Etc.

Suo Gan
02-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Here are some deer that I shot here in California. The bigger booger is about 29" now that it is dry (31" wet). The smaller about 22". I just (2 days ago) saw the largest mule deer I have ever seen in my life...in Yosemite Valley. I think that it was well over three feet and probably around forty inches wide! A perfect 4x4. I was in awe. But, what do you expect in a National Park?

I mounted the smaller deer because of a special set of circumstances that this deer helps me remember. I mounted the larger deer, because it was my largest. Although I am positive that I will take one even larger from the same location...eventually. If not, oh well. I have shot a good deer every year for the last ten years, and sometimes I have done it twice. Casting my own adds new spice to this, just what the Dr. ordered!

When I visit relatives in Montana, and Wisconsin they ask me how I can shoot such small dog sized deer like we have in California. I just smile and act like the deer around their houses are the biggest monsters this California boy has ever seen. "Woooow, that one is huge! Is that a moose? I can see why you live here! Maybe someday I could shoot one like that! Boy howdy!" [smilie=1:

My son is really into hunting now. I told him that next year we will both hunt with the cast boolits we are making now. He is excited, and so am I! I do not offer much to this board as far as casting goes. But when I start something, I usually go full bore. And luckily I have an understanding wife (usually), and the posts from those that have done it help a lot.

So I offer my humble pictures and stories to pay homage to this great site. Thanks everyone! SG

Suo Gan
02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Here they are!