PDA

View Full Version : I found some primers!

supv26
02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
I haven't been able to find any primers and tonight I found some Remington No. 2 1/2 large pistol primers. I think I had better get them while the gettin' is good.

I might as well order some powder also since I will be charged HAZMAT fees. I am going to try some HODGDON HP38, IMR 800X, WIN 231 and I already have a bottle of CLAYS and I am working on a bottle of SOLO 1000. This should keep me going for a while with me making all these 230 grain LRN cast boolits.

Going to do some :Fire: now!

NuJudge
02-07-2009, 11:15 PM
IMR 800X gives excellent accuracy and velocity with 200gr SWC bullets, but it is awful to measure. Ken Waters did a Pet Loads article on his findings with 800x some years ago. I tried it, and you will find yourself measuring every charge, then adjusting with a trickler.

Oh, and it is dirty. Accuracy and muzzle velocity are most impressive. There's no free lunch with the .45 acp.

supv26
02-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info! This is why I listed what powders so I could get some ideas from other people. There is a thread about different powders for the 230 grain LRN like I am using and I used some of the ideas from it. Also, I use this web site for some information on my loading:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
It will give you latest load data for WIN, IMR and Hodgdon powders for rifle and pistol. I can then print it and take it out into the shop with me to use.

crabo
02-07-2009, 11:38 PM
HP38 and WW231 are the same powder. It is a great powder that works really well in a lot of pistol calibers.

supv26
02-07-2009, 11:40 PM
HP38 and WW231 are the same powder. It is a great powder that works really well in a lot of pistol calibers.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that.

high standard 40
02-07-2009, 11:46 PM
I was under the impression that HP38 was similar to Bullseye and 231 was similar to Unique as far as burning rate is concerned.

My Lyman handbook list all 4 of these powders for the 38 spl with 155 gr cast. Top loads listed are

231----5.0
Unique--5.1

HP38---3.9
Bullseye--4.0

Update.
Just visited the Hodgdon website. In the 45acp, top loads suggested for 231 and HP 38 are identical with equal pressure.
This conflicts with the Lyman suggestions in regards to other chamberings.
Best to check current suggested loads from the powder manufacturers for your needs.

richbug
02-08-2009, 09:54 AM
I was under the impression that HP38 was similar to Bullseye and 231 was similar to Unique as far as burning rate is concerned.

My Lyman handbook list all 4 of these powders for the 38 spl with 155 gr cast. Top loads listed are

231----5.0
Unique--5.1

HP38---3.9
Bullseye--4.0

Update.
Just visited the Hodgdon website. In the 45acp, top loads suggested for 231 and HP 38 are identical with equal pressure.
This conflicts with the Lyman suggestions in regards to other chamberings.
Best to check current suggested loads from the powder manufacturers for your needs.

For what its worth, I purchased a 70# drum of W231 a few years back. The W231 label/sticker was on top of a HP38 sticker.

high standard 40
02-08-2009, 10:22 AM
70lbs WOW!

It's been quite a long time since I've purchased either of those powders and I know things do change in formulations from time to time. Winchester & Hogdon are now owned by the same company. It is odd that in another chambering, the 38 special, the loads are so different for the two powders suggesting a different burn rate. This is a very good reason that we should always follow the latest available information at our disposal to assemble our loads. The Lyman handbook I quoted is an older edition (1982) and things could very well be different today.

Charlie........

JIMinPHX
02-08-2009, 11:15 AM
W231 & HP38 are pretty close to the same from my experience. Bullseye is a little different from those two, but not real far off. Unique, however, is unique. It's a bit different from the rest.

FN in MT
02-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Interesting about the HP38/WW231 LABEL story. I've always stayed away from HP38 due to the metering problems.

I've used a lot of the old Winchester 452AA in .45 acp and .44 spcl loads. I'd heard from several pistol shooters over the years that 452AA is the SAME as TRAP 100. Never tried any though.

FN in MT

EDK
02-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I haven't been able to find any primers and tonight I found some Remington No. 2 1/2 large pistol primers. I think I had better get them while the gettin' is good.

Going to do some :Fire: now!

Where are you located...general area. I'm south of St Louis near Arnold.

Dunns in Pevely MO has some components...not many large pistol primers though. Grafs (Mexico) has a fair stock, although out of some powders I wanted...go to the website. The St Charles store doesn't carry larger containers of powder. I'm buying 8 pound bottles when I can find (or afford) them. AND primers!!!!

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

high standard 40
02-08-2009, 01:56 PM
For you people having trouble locating primers. Check out this site. I live within 2 miles of this guy. He operates a gun & reloading supply from a shop at his home. I checked him this week and he had 10s of thousands of primers on hand.

http://www.e-reloading.com/

Probably best to call or e-mail as he is not set up to order directly through the site.

Charlie.........HS40

supv26
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Where are you located...general area. I'm south of St Louis near Arnold.

Dunns in Pevely MO has some components...not many large pistol primers though. Grafs (Mexico) has a fair stock, although out of some powders I wanted...go to the website. The St Charles store doesn't carry larger containers of powder. I'm buying 8 pound bottles when I can find (or afford) them. AND primers!!!!

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

I am near Rolla.

hicard
02-08-2009, 08:25 PM
I was under the impression that you could't ship powder and primers together under the same haz mat feea?

supv26
02-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I was under the impression that you could't ship powder and primers together under the same haz mat feea?

You can. That's why I want to get as much as I can at one time. You have to ask them how much they can put in one box so you just get charged the one fee.