PDA

View Full Version : New boolit caster on the way

Fire_stick
02-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Well the bug bit me after reading about casting in another forum. So I set out to learn what I can. My first impression after the reading I have done so far, is that I need to find a source of raw material (WW). About broke my back today at the local auto service shop here in town and picked up 285# of ww for $20. There may be unusable stuff in that bucket, but I feel beter knowing I have something I can start with. Now to figure out the other things I need.

I was looking around and found the Lyman Master Caster Kit, and I was wondering if this worth the investment for a beginner like myself. I know I have a lot to learn, yet, and I have a lot of reading to do before I cast my first batch. Looks like a lot of good information here, so I'll be here most days trying to learn the art.

I just wanted to send out a note and say hello, and see if you guys can get me headed in the right direction. My main interest, at present, is producing 125, 158 and 180 grain bullets for my .357 model 92 lever gun for hunting and plinking (alot of plinking).

Ira

snaggdit
02-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Welcome! You will need suprisingly little to get started. I cannot speak to the Lyman kit. I'm sure others will chime in that have experience with it. There is a recent post about a cheap way to smelt WW. Might want to check it out:-)

Beaverhunter2
02-07-2009, 07:47 PM
My first bit of advice is: DON'T DO IT! Lead is very addictive!

Just kidding. But I've been at it for almost a year and I already have 14 molds for 8 calibers!

I will say I went "low budget" to start and it's working fairly well for me. I've got:

A two burner propane stove for a heat source (it has the hose that lets me hook up to 20lb tanks).

A lyman ladle

A small cast iron pot to melt my alloy

A stainless steel pot from the Salvation Army to smelt in

A big spoon for skimming off the dross ( I added a wooden handle.)

I pan lube with homemade SAECO green in a cake pan I also got at the Salvation Army (but I started with LLA)

A Lyman ingot mold

I also bought a Lee 10lb electric bottom feeder, but tend to use the ladle more.

I don't know if the Master Caster kit would have been cheaper and/or better. I just pieced my rig together and its working. Enjoy yourself! This is a great site with lots of knowledgeable, helpful people (myself excepted ;) ).

John

mooman76
02-07-2009, 09:20 PM
You will always find unusable stuff in the WWs but don't sweat it and also be careful. You might be surprised what you would find in there. Stuff like needles and razor blades to name a few. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Finding the WWs these days is most the battle. I don't know about the master kit either but this is one part of reloading that can really be done cheap if you are creative. Good luck and welcome!