PDA

View Full Version : had a brainstorm

targetshootr
02-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Or maybe it was a brain fart, they sound the same these days. I started loading for 475 yesterday on a 650 Dillon and so far I managed to get two different cases stuck inside two different RCBS sizing dies.

Anyhow, I've got a singe stage Rockchucker going unused and wonder if it can be used to pull cases out of dies and also used to separate loaded ammo. I bet there's more than enough pressure if someone makes an adapter.

:holysheep

oneokie
02-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Get or make a stuck case remover.

Doc Highwall
02-07-2009, 02:35 PM
If you are using the Dillon case lube you have to let the cases dry (Alcohol evaporate) or you will get cases stuck in the dies.

targetshootr
02-07-2009, 02:56 PM
They may as well be welded in there. The rockchucker had the perfect size shell plate and with all my weight on it they didn't budge. I've loaded from 32-20 to 454 casull and never saw anything quite like this.

kamikaze1a
02-07-2009, 04:34 PM
If you have all your weight on the handle...you are pressing the shell further in! You need to be lifting the handle to be pulling it out. And they, RCBS as well as others, do sell stuck case pullers. The RCBS ver requires drilling and tapping the primer pocket to facilitate removal...

DLCTEX
02-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Or drill and tap the primer hole to 5/16, choose a 3/8 drive socket that will fit easily over the base of the stuck case, then use a 5/16 bolt long enough to reach through the socket and have enough threads to extend through the web of the case before pressure is applied. Tighten with a wrench to pull the case, which will probably release after 1/8 inch of travel.

targetshootr
02-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Or drill and tap the primer hole to 5/16, choose a 3/8 drive socket that will fit easily over the base of the stuck case, then use a 5/16 bolt long enough to reach through the socket and have enough threads to extend through the web of the case before pressure is applied. Tighten with a wrench to pull the case, which will probably release after 1/8 inch of travel.

There's my project for tomorrow. What would be a good substitute for case lube? Everyone is out of it locally because gun owners lose their minds at election time. My first choice didn't work so well.

snaggdit
02-07-2009, 06:36 PM
My brother in law is using synthetic motor oil and it works well for him. I, personnally think it leaves the cases too slippery after resizing. He is using a single stage, though. He can wipe them before priming. As he says. It's cheap and will last forever.

targetshootr
02-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I tapped it to 1/4" and it worked like a champ and then got some loaded that were trimmed 45-70 cases. The big rim worked much better than the BBA brass I started with.