PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt cast bullets keyholing

royce
02-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I cast my first batch of bullets for my 45 Bisley yesterday using old wheel weights. I loaded three batches, with Titegroup at 7 grains for about 900 fps, 8 grains for 1000 fps and 10 grains for about 1200. (Chronographed)
The two lighter loads performed well, and shot a decent group at 50 yards.
The fastest loads surprised the heck outta me! I shot a group at 50 yards ( 6 shots) and then fired two into a box filled with dry newspaper at about 20 feet. To my surprise, both bullets went in sideways! When I recovered the bullets, there was almost no sign of rifling marks on the bullets.
I also fired a lighter load ( 1000 fps) into the box, and in penetrated about six inches, and showed rifling marks.
What do I need to do Go to a harder alloy for the faster loads?

Thanks for any advice. I will try to post a picture of the recovered bullets.

The bullet that went straight in ( 1000 fps) is on the right. The two bullets that entered sideways are on the right.

Fred

redneckdan
02-07-2009, 01:11 PM
any leading in your barrel? Based on the fact the other loads shot okay I would say it must be a lead alloy issue. Try water dropping the hot boolits and then tempering in an oven for even hardness.

44man
02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
No, I used water dropped WW metal to 1800 fps.
It sounds like your throats are smaller then your groove to groove in the barrel and you are sizing the boolits in the throats before they get in the barrel.
Slug the throats and bore and measure them.

royce
02-07-2009, 03:51 PM
What do you think about adding some shotgun shot that contains antimony to my wheelweights?
Fred

putteral
02-07-2009, 04:44 PM
I was having problems keyholing until I switched to a slower burning powder. Titegroup is a pretty fast burning powder.

duckndawg
02-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree with putteral. either your trying to push the bullet to fast or to fast a powder. ALSO the bullet could be the wrong diameter. have you slugged the barrel???

badgeredd
02-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Royce,

Did I miss it? What boolit are you using? I personally have had the best accuracy and performance on target with the Lyman 454190. I have a couple others that didn't give as good accuracy.....mainly because they are a bit small in diameter for the cylinder throat. Oh yeah, I load mine with Unique.

Edd

robertbank
02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
I would check your barrel's diameter as well as your cylinders. I would then check the diameter of your bullets. I know I had the same thing happen to me in my 9MM guns. I sized a bunch .355 and the tumbling took place in less than 10'. I now size my 9MM .357 and the problem disappeared.

If the cylinders diameter is less than your barrels you are going to have problems. The same problems occur if you size your bullets to small for the bore.

Take Care

Bob

hyoder
02-07-2009, 08:58 PM
This is a repeat, but:
Check your throats and groove diameters.
If the throats are smaller than the groove diameter, you need to ream the throats.
If they match or are close, how does your boolit diameter compare. If the boolits are undersize you get gas blowby and the harder you push the more blowby.
If the throats are smaller than the groove diameter the boolits are being swaged down and you get blowby and or instability.