PDA

View Full Version : Inherent accuracy

Slinger
02-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Do you think that in the .38 caliber there would be an accuracy difference between the Magma 150 grain FP-FB vs. the 158 gr. FP-BB? I want the 158 gr., but I wonder about the bevel base. Saeco makes a 158 gr. TC Flat Base, but from what I've read and my buddy's experience with them, I don't know that I want to take a chance, if there would be something wrong with the mould.

44man
02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Only you can determine if your gun likes a boolit. I see nothing wrong with the Saeco and don't know what the trouble was with it. Was the trouble loading or shooting?
I don't like the BB boolits but those that pound out loads on a progressive like them. That is the only reason for a BB after all, accuracy comes in second.
My time is valuable which means if it takes me 10 minutes to load one round and it hits what I shoot at, that has a lot of value. :drinks:
Some want to load 50,000 rounds an hour to make noise with, no value at all there.
I have to wonder about guys that cast day after day until they fill huge containers of boolits or load 20 ammo cans full non stop. There must be a numb spot in the brain or there is a pile of pot next to the bench. :mrgreen: I am ready to quit after 20 boolits! :Fire: I hate boring jobs! It is like digging holes, cleaning the bathroom or cutting fire wood.
OK, OK, enough with the jokes! :-D See if someone has the mold in question and bum some boolits to try.

Slinger
02-07-2009, 11:02 AM
The problems was with the mould. It was eventually replaced, but took like two months.

I load on a progressive for 45 acp & 38 sp because I do alot of defensive type shooting with these two calibers. But I load alot of other cals. on a single stage press for accuracy and hunting loads.
I live in the country with no one else that casts, so, so much for bumming boolits.

crabo
02-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I have always gotten better accuracy with flat base boolits.

HeavyMetal
02-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I've been told that BB boolits are not as accurate as the FB.

In my personnel experience I haven't been able to "see" enough of a difference, in real world shooting, to make a call one way or the other.

I will also point out that the H&G number 68, a mold for the 45 auto, has an actual cult following, is proclaimed to be the boolit of choice fo the 45 auto and has a BB! At least on the two or three samples I've seen.

Yes the BB certainly makes loading on a progressive "smoother".

I have found that buying a mold can be a crap shoot. I firmly believe that this is why certain designs are so popular, They work!

Odd that you had a problem with a Saeco, usually these are "boolit" proof from the get go. Bear in mind you make a million of anything and one or two bad ones will slip out. Warranty problems are an issue with most every manufacturer these days.

As for bumming some boolits to try, suggest you go to the swap and sell section and look under Murphy's area on trading boolits. That seems to be going well and some one my swap or send you some samples or even make a suggestion on a boolit you don't know about!

I take it your looking at a TC type boolit for the 38 because of speed loading? Good idea and a TC will "feed" as well as a RN which will be your other choice.

Echo
02-07-2009, 12:27 PM
If you are after the last bit of accuracy, then FB boolits are the way to go. On the other hand, if you are CAS, then accuracy is far down the priority list. Same as if one is simply bustin' caps on a silhouette @ 5yds. BB's are OK in those situattions.

NSP64
02-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I live in the country with no one else that casts, so, so much for bumming boolits.

We all do, that is why we gather here. In the swappin section you will find the boolit exchange at the top. Post what you want to try, most times someone has those they can send you to try.