PDA

View Full Version : cannalure yes or no?

BT Sniper
02-07-2009, 04:25 AM
Been shooting the 40 S&W .429 bullets out of a hard recoiling 44 Auto Mag with out a cannalure grove. Have been using a strong taper crimp and have not had any problems. Have been considering getting a cannalure tool so others shooting these bullets might have somthing to crimp to.
My question is what would/are you guys doing with a bullet with no cannalure grove? I know the norm is to roll crimp for a rimmed case, anyone taper crimp it or is there an advantage/disadvantage between the two?
Anyone had any problems shooting a hard recoil gun and the bullet col changes?
How about accuracy between a groved bullet and non (for pistols)?
Which cannalure tool would you guys recamend?

I think a grove on the 40 S&W jacket bullet would complete the transition from looking like a loaded cartridge to a sharp looking bullet.

Thanks,

Brian

kawalekm
02-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Brian
I use CH's "Solid Steel Cannelure Tool" which I bought back when it was only 35$ (now 65$). It does a good job, though the depth of the groove is less than on commercial bullets. Doesn't seem to be a problem though. I use mine for both my own home-made bullets, but also for adding a second crimping groove on commercial bullets where I want to seat right off the rifling.

By the way, how is 9mm case to .40 caliber bullet project going?
Michael

deltaenterprizes
02-07-2009, 08:22 PM
The question to ask is "How does the cartridge headspace?". If it is on the mouth of the case,you need to taper crimp, if not you can roll crimp.