PDA

View Full Version : Did Lee re-design the 358-125-rf?

GrizzLeeBear
02-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Was doing some searching and found this thread:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=37486&highlight=.38+125

Did Lee redesign this mold to have a longer nose and no bevel base like the one on the right in the picture in post #7 in that thread? Lee's and Midway's website shows the short nose. The longer nose (and slightly heavier) boolit looks like it would be a dandy in the .38 and maybe 9mm? If they did, does anyone know if it comes in a 6 banger?

Jbar4Ranch
02-06-2009, 11:46 PM
I thought the one on the left was the new design...? I bought a mould like the one on the right of eBay a few years ago, then ordered two more from Lee. The new ones from Lee are like the one on the left. I eventually found another one like the first one, also on eBay. My daughter shoot bunches of them over 3 grains of Clays in her .38's at CAS matches all summer. I prefer C&B revolvers and a .38-40 lever gun with BP myself.

opentop
02-07-2009, 01:41 AM
The one on the left is the new disign. I have the one on the right, with the longer nose. I bought it from midway about a year ago. since then, Lee changed it to the shorter nose and BB.

Springfield
02-07-2009, 01:50 AM
I just bought the one on the right 2 months ago from Midway. The old catalog shows the one on the left, so I thought the one on the right was new. Anyway, I'm glad I got the one on the right.

jameslovesjammie
02-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Yup. That's my picture. I purchased the mould from MidwayUSA on 6/21/2008 (just checked my order history in my Midway Account). I had to wait for it and the Lee 150-1R both to come into stock when I order it.

The boolit on the left was the one I ordered, as I used to purchase it from MidKansas Cast Bullets. It is even the on pictured on the end of Lee's mould box. When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised at what I received (the boolit on the right). It is very similar to the 358-130 group buy that just came in.

azrednek
02-07-2009, 02:41 AM
I got one recently sent to me directly from Lee. I sent a 41 mag mold for warranty, they no longer made it so Lee said I could pick any mold in their catalog as a replacement. I got the 358 125RF. My computer is really slow and I couldn't pull up the link you posted. Mine does not have the beveled base as shown in their catalog. I'll check the link later and tell you which one mine looks like.

EDIT; Mine looks like the one on the right. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but dummy rounds I loaded cycled perfectly in my Rossi lever action. My Rossi is a bit sticky with SWC's and I wanted to try a round nose.

crabo
02-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I have the one on the right. It is a great shooting boolit. I use it in .38 Super sized to 358. I also use it in my 38/357s sized to 359.

It shoots unbelievably great in my 357 lever gun with 6 grains of Universal at 50 yards. I would think it would open up at 100 yards. I haven't shot it on paper at 100, but it will knock down the rams.

opentop
02-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Hey springfield, did you buy a 2 cavity or 6 cavity?

I bought the 2 cavity, and when I was shopping for it, Lee had a picture of the one on the right posted on thier web site. Sice then, they changed it to a picture of the one on the left.

I would like to have a six cavity mold of the one on the left if I could get rid of the bb.