PDA

View Full Version : What I've made since Monday

Buckshot
01-20-2006, 03:50 AM
http://www.fototime.com/E704FB44D1CDC33/standard.jpg

This is getting to be a chore! :-) Upper left 3 die bodies are mistakes. Supposed to be .460". I allow a +.0005" tolerance and both came in over (I'm still new at this stuff) so they got finished out to .461". Those are the ones I'd posted on the swapping-selling forum. The other is a .433" that was supposed to be a .432". Another oopsie but I don't have an ejector pin made for it yet.

Down below are the two .460" dies, the .432", then a .267", .268", and a .269". Then there is a swage die, a bump die and then 2 push though size dies. One .301" for a Carcano and the other a .310". I still have to make the pushrods.

Heck, I even managed to put new rear brakes on the Taurus this afternoon!

..................Buckshot

Frank46
01-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Rick, I'd say you have been one busy beaver. Just got a 1891 argie beater. Bbl is toast but action is ok except for some light rust. But get this, the bolt, trigger guard, and mag are I think chrome plated even the rear swivel. But lousy plating job as a lot of it is flaking off. Any ideas on how to remove the plating?. Frank

bruce drake
01-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Buckshot,

How much for a push-through size die at .259? I've got a 257 Roberts that I'd like to start shooting Gas-checked 100gr through.

Bruce

Buckshot
01-21-2006, 07:15 AM
................Frank46, "Just got a 1891 argie beater. Bbl is toast but action is ok except for some light rust. But get this, the bolt, trigger guard, and mag are I think chrome plated even the rear swivel. "

I got one of those long ago in a CAI "2 fer" deal. These were sold as 'Parade' rifles, and I see no other reason for them to have been chrome plated. Like your's mine had the chrome flaking badly. The plus side was that the barrel was sparkely bright and shiney and real tight at .300 x .311". Plus it had a nice piece of wood on it. Something I'd never seen or heard of before was it also had a small oval brass disc on the right side of the buttstock. It was stamped, 'R. Robertson'. It appeared old as the brass was mustard colored, and looked it.

The other rifle had a split in the forend from the rear band to the end of the forend. Plus the barrel was junk. It turned out just super as all it's metal parts were just fine externally, so I swapped them out onto the chromed rifle with the super barrel.

Springfield Sporters had brand new 1891 Carbine barrels, for cheap (at the time) so I bought one, plus all the carbine parts. The idea was to utilize the action with the bad barrel and make a cavalry carbine type deal with the new barrel, and cuttng it's stock down. I believe that was 9-10 years ago and it's all still in a box at the back of the garage behind a cabinet with some other "One of these days" deals. So One of These Days....................... 8)

.............Bruce, "How much for a push-through size die at .259? I've got a 257 Roberts that I'd like to start shooting Gas-checked 100gr through."

That would be $18 inc rtn shipping. Hopefully you're not in a real big rush if you want me to make one, HA! I honestly try for a 2 week turnaround because I know how it is waiting for something you've ordered. It's just that sometimes life takes these little curves and bumps. I actually try for that turnaround, but last week a bunch of stuff landed all at once, and I'd been occupied trying to get some other previous leftover stuff out.

Sometimes it seems as if I'm dancing in peanut butter. I'd like to make you one if you can stand a possible bit longer wait. You can PM me for my address and particulars.

.................Buckshot