PDA

View Full Version : Lead and brass prices

housedad
02-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Ok, just got back from picking up from the scrap dealer. Here are the prices I paid so you can compare to prices where you are.

Gun brass was selling at 90 cents a lb, down from $1/lb in December. They will pay you only 22 cent a pound to buy from you.

Straight lead scrap is up to 25 cent/lb from 20 cents in December. They are paying 15 cents a pound.

Bought WW at 20 cent/lb. They will pay you 10 cents a pound

All total aquired:

1286 lbs of WW

485 lbs of lead sheet and looks like elevator weights

646 lbs of brass from a LEO range. They are keeping the batches separate for me now.

This is in New Jersey.

Now I have a total of 2400 lbs of WW, and 750lbs of lead.

Still scrounging.

I guess I'm hording, but I'll be damned if I go into my retirement years (read: no more kids at home and I have spare time) and not be able to cast boolits. I will keep the costs down now for shooting then!!

Sven
02-06-2009, 02:00 PM
3150# of lead and you GUESS you're hoarding??? ;) :D

par0thead151
02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
iv got 1500# and i dont own a mould yet, or a quality furnace...
i still want more. doubling that would make me content.
why are comodities rising? the economy is tanking even more.

snaggdit
02-06-2009, 03:18 PM
I think that people are starting to realize that the massive influx of new printed paper is devaluing it. Everyone bailed out of commodities last fall and into cash. Now the market is realizing cash probably isn't the bast bet in the long run and beginning to want out of cash holdings back into physical stuff, such as gold, silver, platinum and even copper, tin, zinc and lead. It will go up. Especially if the purchasing power of our dollar goes down as some predict this year.

housedad
02-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Naah, not really yet. :mrgreen:

I'll really consider it hoarding when I get to 5k lbs :castmine: [smilie=1:

housedad
02-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Snaggdit, I think you have a point on that one. That is probably being seen. A lot of scared rabbits out there for sure.

Then again, there is a whole bunch of brokers and traders that don't know what to do and they are just holding their butts waiting for the world to end.

Your tag line says it all.