PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Target

brad925
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I would like to build a steel Buff target but cannot find plans or dimensions. Anyone know where i could look?

montana_charlie
02-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Can't find a big piece of paper and a gentle buffalo?
CM

brad925
02-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Can't get one so stand still enough to scan...LOL

montana_charlie
02-06-2009, 07:58 PM
YIKES! That would be a big scanner!
I was thinking of just tracing around him with a magic marker...

Well, here is a silhouette. With some innovative math, you can probably get it up to the size you need. Life size would be around five and a half feet at the shoulder...
CM

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=499

crabo
02-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Print off the buff picture. Make a transparency on a copy machine and project it on your steel. Keep backing up until you get the size you want. Trace with soapstone and cut it out.

The cool thing is that every thing will stay in proportion if you use the overhead projector.

Dan Cash
02-07-2009, 09:32 AM
The last overhead projector I saw was a spendy outfit. Just print the picture on some grid paper or draw a grid overlay; scale your grid up to fit an equal number of larger squares on your target; establish datum points on your picture and transfer to the scaled up grid on the target. Connect the dots and cut. Sounds complicated but isn't. Takes ten minutes for layout.
Good luck,
Dan

crabo
02-07-2009, 11:09 AM
You can probably borrow an overhead projector from a school, church, or library. If my high school students can do it, so can you. They all started with small pictures.

HABCAN
02-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Our local buff is set at 800m, pretty easy to hit except when the wind is blowing, even with an SKS........................and the wind is ALWAYS blowing, LOL!

"Lessee, four-and-a-half buffs high, five buffs left......................"
After several 'bangs'.................. "No call. Get off that bench and go get the M1!"
"Now, sling up, set 900 on the rear sight, add six clicks left, stand on your back legs and aim at his back foot."
'Bang'...... 'Clang'.
"Ohmygod, I hit it!"
Thus are new Riflemen made, once the 'light' goes on.

You'll have fun with that when you get it done.