PDA

View Full Version : I'm hopelessly addicted to levers!!

azrednek
01-20-2006, 12:44 AM
I can't believe I fell for the sales pitch!! I just had to kill some time and visited a pawnshop after dropping an elderly relative at the Dr's office. In the rack were several Rossi levers in 45 colt and 44-40. Some were priced at 329 and a few for 289. I just had to ask why the identical rifles were 40 bucks apart. The sales clerk said we bought these for 40 dollars less and we're passing it on, do you want to buy the 45 or 44-40 he asked. I said no I was just curious about the price, besides I already have two Rossi levers in 357 and 44 mag. The clerk picked up the 45 saying we only have a few of these left for 289, do you want the only one we have left in the back still in the box for only 289. Feeling the sales pressure knowing I had my gunshow money in my wallet and a part of me was saying yes yes yes, I said no I don't really want to buy it. Sure you do or you wouldn't have asked he said. Feeling weak I decided to leave and before I could take a step toward the door he said I'll eat the tax. Now it is sitting in my car's trunk waiting to be sneaked in!! I just don't understand this addiction, I can only shoot one at a time but I keep feeling I now need the 44-40 to complete the collection.

Buckshot
01-20-2006, 03:21 AM
...............azrednek, I understand the problem completely. Not necessarily with just leverguns. Fear not, for on this board are many fellows similarly afflicted, and we all travel down the same ruinous road 8)

Me, Deputy Al and a couple other guys went riding around one rainy day visiting as many gunshops as possible in the area. One on the way back home had a Rossi in the consignment rack. It was beautimus to behold. It had a cresent butt, half octagon and round barrel with a half magazine. Chambered in 45 Colt for $300.

I like this rifle very much as it had several interesting features and seemed like brand new. Normally I would just whip out the plastic and figure I'd do wihtout for a couple months. Yet maturity overcame me and I didn't buy it. This was a Thursday and I said if it's still there Monday when I call I'll go buy it. As you might have guessed, it'd been sold. Curses! I LIKED that rifle!

So let this be a lesson. If your REALLY like it and it won't put you in the poorhouse, or get you literally shot by the war dept, BUY IT! I was REALLY bummed about not getting that thing.

................Buckshot

grumble
01-20-2006, 11:11 AM
AZ, I know 'zactly what'cha mean. Those danged salespeople! It's all THEIR fault, making us buy stuff we don't want. Just think about how much we could save if they didn't MAKE us buy those guns.

And I especially despise those gunmakers for building lever guns. Good thing I don't have a crack habit, I couldn't afford that and lever guns too.

Four Fingers of Death
01-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Imagine the problems I have, levers are only a small part of my collection, so many guns, so little time and money!

The Nyack Kid
01-20-2006, 11:02 PM
I know how you feel . been there done that , you would think i learned my lesson the first or second time round ...... course us Polish loggers always were slow learners..... seen those New take-down 405 winnys yet ?

Nrut
01-20-2006, 11:51 PM
I know how you feel . been there done that , you would think i learned my lesson the first or second time round ...... course us Polish loggers always were slow learners..... seen those New take-down 405 winnys yet ?
Yes I have and one is in the mail (awaiting Export papers)....I'm a logger also though not Polish....cheers mic

Beau Cassidy
01-21-2006, 12:29 AM
..... seen those New take-down 405 winnys yet ?

Oh yea... Got one on the way, too. Also got a Model 71 .348 enroute. I gotta get a second job to support my addiction.

Beau

Griff
01-22-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't see the problem :-?

steveb
01-22-2006, 11:49 PM
I think you done good!My Rossi 92 44MAG is the cats meow.Slicker then snot.And you got it for one heck of a price!Congrats.

j4570
01-23-2006, 11:11 PM
And I have a 405 Win on the way too. Looks like it's going to be a popular caliber, for a couple more years.

Frank46
01-24-2006, 02:56 AM
j4570, you know the 405 case if cut down to fit a lee enfield magazine and downloaded to account for the shorter case would make a fine woods rifle. Something to think about. But of course you'd have to use cast boolits. Ye Gods, we've created another monster. This sounds like ajob for Buckshot as soon as he can stop munching on his birthday cake. Of course the caliber could also be 375 just to liven things up a bit. Frank