PDA

View Full Version : Need YOUR opinions

Whitespider
02-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Well you guys talked me into this madness a couple of years ago, so I’ll ask ya’ for some more info.

I’m casting with a dipper, from cast iron cookware, over an old electric range. I’m good with that, perfectly satisfied. I’m pan lubing most boolits, LLA some, and shooting as cast, un-sized. But as my collection of molds has grown (does that ever end?) I’ve added a few Lee sizers because some just drop too large. For the low volume boolits that’s also fine, but some boolits are cast in large batches (for me) and get shot up pretty fast. I’m thinking about a lube-sizer for convenience... at least with some boolits.

I see references here about the RCBS, the Lyman and others like the SAECO. As well, I see comments about “old style”, “new style” and whatnot. I’d like your opinions. What do you like about the Lyman over the RCBS, or vise-versa? Am I correct in thinking that Lyman and RCBS dies are interchangeable? And I’ll most likely swap for, or buy used; what should I look for, be leery of?

Thanks a ton guys.

Jimlakeside
02-06-2009, 09:52 AM
I had a Lyman for a while, just too slow for my needs. Bought a Star, never looked back. It's more expensive, but much much faster. Lathesmith will custom make your dies to make it run even better.

mtgrs737
02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I started out with the Lyman 450 and it worked just fine, I still have two with different lubes in them. They can be had for a reasonable cost here on the buying and swapping area. I think there is a guy here now with one for around $75 $85. Buckshot and Lathesmith can make you dies and top punches for them if needed both do excellent work. Lee push through sizers work but they are not as fast. Star's are the best for those who do high volume but they are costly. The new style they are talking about is the Lyman 4500 with the new style ram and handle which is stronger, I have never broken a 450 with the old style handle though, retrofit kits are available for the 450. The RCBS lubersizer has given little problems and uses the same dies and top punches as the Lyman, they some up for sale used also from time to time here and on ebay. Good luck.

sundog
02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Whitespider, hey pal, not our fault you got hooked :mrgreen:

But as my collection of molds has grown (does that ever end?) --- Uh, no.

Loobsizer? Watch garage sales and swap meets (ebay, if you really have to) and buy one on the cheap. I have, I think, 6 or 7 Ly and RCBS, none bought new and some even free.

Boerrancher
02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I cut my teeth on a Lyman 450 that belonged to a friend of my fathers, so when I started casting on my own and the Lee push through sizers were not acceptable any longer I hunted up a used Lyman 450. I honestly can't imagine what a person would be doing with a Lyman 450 that any more strength would be needed. I know that they are not as fast as a Star, but I can sure lube and size a bunch of boolits in an hours time and have them ready to shoot. I can assure you that the Lyman or the RCBS is just as fast as a Lee push through, and the best thing is you don't have to do anything else except load and shoot.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

atr
02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Im still using the old Lyman 45 I bought back in the 60's....it is a little slower but I not into "mass production", and it does a fine job. You DO have to be careful if you use a brand of lubrication which gets hard in cold weather (as in un-heated garage) ,,then you have to warm the Lyman for the lubrication to flow...

Willbird
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I had a Lyman for a while, just too slow for my needs. Bought a Star, never looked back. It's more expensive, but much much faster. Lathesmith will custom make your dies to make it run even better.

I agree a whole bunch :-). Also if you look at what used Star sizers in good condition sell for on Ebone owning one really does not cost you much, IE you can always get your money back from one.

Bill

OLPDon
02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
I have been using a lyman 450 for the last 8 yrs+ and I just looked into getting a Star Lube Sizer. However the cost of the Star was well beyond my liking cost wise, with haveing to get replacement die's for all the cal's. is not cost effective. The Star Lube Sizer is without a doubt the best on the market. If I were a Bench Rest competive shooter I could justify getting one.
The Lyman/RCBS fits my needs and very happy with it.

If you can get your hands on Star cheap then by all means do so. I was looking at a star on evil bay (Ebay) and last I remember it went for over $400.00 and it only came with couple of die's. So I will stick with my lyman and Keep the $$$$$ for Powder, Primers, GC, and the Group Buy's
Don
Ebay Links to Star Lube Sizer Nice but what a Price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120365713450
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360123791536

BruceB
02-06-2009, 11:48 AM
My casting career began in 1966. The first (linotype, i.e.: HARD) bullets were hand-lubed and pushed through the sizing chamber of a Lyman 310 hand tool. By 1967 I was using a Lyman 45 bench-mounted tool, a vast improvement. I essentially wore out that #45, and it didn't owe me a thing.

It was replaced by a Lyman #450, a much better machine, and the original 450 has been joined by two more. Even as a somewhat production-oriented caster, I see no need for a Star on MY bench. This is because I cast a great many different designs of widely-varying diameter. The Star does not lend itself to such a situation.

If your requirement is for a LOT of bullets of just a few diameters, the Star is great. However, I'm using about thirty different sizing diameters right now and my production with the Lyman design is amply adequate for my needs. Developing an efficient routine is a great help. I haven't timed my runs lately, but I'd expect the rate to run at over 500 bullets per hour...including final inspection.

Wayne Smith
02-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow, Bruce, 30 sizers! I thought I had a lot. I have a Lyman 450 and an RCBS, running two different lubes. I'm satisfied with my set-up, but than, I'm not retired yet!

Pepe Ray
02-06-2009, 02:06 PM
BruceB & Old Don have the right idea.
Whitespider' from your description of your set up I'm guessing that your pockets have as many holes in them as mine do. Ignore the rich guys pushing the Stars.
Lyman early is a 45-got a cast iron flimsy handle. Go easy ,it'l last forever.
Lyman had a transitional model, w/strap steel handle still called it a 45.
Lyman 450 linkage modified. cast steel or iron upper joint threaded to hold a steel handle. Mine was /is tank tuff. More transitional changes. then the
4500. This morphed again when the heaters were introduced.
I've heard that the more recent stuff has QC problems.
Try to find a used 450, even if it needs new parts.
The RCBS stuff parallels Lyman, for the most part. Great service and warranties.
Free replacement of parts to the point of embarrassment.
Ordinarily I'd say to be patient and wait for a good used buy. But times are changing rapidly. Use your instinct and good luck.
Pepe Ray

Willbird
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Lyman 4500 Lube sizer $120 at Midwayusa
Sizer dies for it $18.99 each plus shipping
Top punches $8.69 each plus shipping

Magma Star lube sizer $250 at Magma
Unhardened sizer dies for it $22 from lathesmith (unhardened are just as good as any lyman lube size die.
Top punches not needed.

If your just making plain based bullets you can make and sell (2000) 45 acp bullets and sell to a buddy and earn the difference in price between the two, so for one evenings work you can have a tool that will do 2x to 3x the bullets per hour. After you have bought the sizer it does not cost any more to add a die for the Star than it does to add one for a Lyman.

You don't have to be a "rich guy" to own a Star lube sizer.

Bill