PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge case length

joeb33050
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
mONTANA cHARLIE AND tOM (kEN) mYERS MENTIONED CASE LENGTH IMPORTANCE. tHIS IS MY EXPERIENCE, LOOKING FOR MORE.

Case length vs. accuracy
In the Nov./Dec. 2001 ASSRA Journal article: “The Importance of Case Length in Cast Bullet Accuracy”, the author stated that short cases yield less accuracy than cases close to maximum length with cast bullets. The mechanism proposed is that the unsupported bullet in the gap between case end and chamber end will be expanded by the firing pressure, then the expanded section will be swaged down as the bullet moves through the throat-and the expansion/swaging will be uneven and cause inaccuracy. This article opened up a potential accuracy-improving easy and inexpensive shortcut. The article did not include any supporting data, so I imagined that what was put forth was a hypothesis.
To test this hypothesis I needed a rifle that shot fixed ammunition at high enough pressures, with sufficient accuracy, and for which extra long cases could be made or found.
The only rifle available to me that met these criteria was a Savage Tactical rifle with synthetic stock in 300 Winchester Magnum, fitted with a Weaver 3-9X telescopic sight. I owned this rifle for about four years, and it was reasonably accurate with cast lead bullets at slower velocities, 1200-1500 fps.
(We are told, and I believe, that cases that are too long will jam bullet and case neck into the throat of the rifle and cause very high pressures on firing.)
Pressure must be sufficient to expand the bullet into the space left by the short case. Expansion of the bullet under the gas pressure on firing is sometimes called "obturation".
In a private communication with the author, he said “… obturation of lead-alloy bullets occurs at about 1500 psi times each Brinnel hardness point, e.g., a Brinnel hardness 10 bullet requires about 15,000 psi peak chamber pressure to achieve sufficient obturation to essentially fully seal the bore”
With wheel weights reported at 9-12 BHN, the pressure required to obturate would be 13,500 to 18,000 psi.
A pressure of greater than 18,000 psi was required. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, third edition, shows a 187 grain 311334 bullet in the 300 WM with 17.5 grains of Unique at 1605 FPS and 26,400 psi. The load given below of a 208 grain bullet and 17 grains of Unique should produce at least this pressure, which exceeds the obturation threshold.
After several weeks of experimentation I found a load that shot accurately at higher velocity: The 311299 bullet was cast of newly melted wheel weights, weighing 208.5 +/-.5 grains, sized in a .314” die, lubed with the NRA alox-beeswax formula and gas checked (Hornady).
This bullet has three bands and two lube grooves along with the gas check shank. As loaded, the first band is out of the case with none/little of the first lube groove exposed.
17 grains of Unique was used with no filler, Remington L.P. #2 1/2 primers, LOA = 3.455”.
I loaded one case at the range, sizing the neck in a Lee sizer, expanding the neck in a Lyman “M” die and seating the bullet with the Lee loader.
I used this load and loading method for all groups shot in this test.
Extra long cases were made from Federal 300 H&H Magnum cases full-length sized in 300 WM dies and trimmed to about 2.660”.
The chamber would accept a case of 2.648”, .028” longer than the published case length and .033” longer than the trim-to length.
Being chicken, I trimmed the cases to 2.643”. After extensive firing, the cases measured 2.621" to 2.630”. What happened was that the tapered 300 H&H case had blown out to fill the chamber and shortened during firing.

The first test with short cases.
On March 13, 2002, using the load noted above and one R-P case measuring 2.605” long, I shot five 5 shot 100 yard groups that averaged 1.132":

The test with a long case made from a 300 H&H Magnum case
On March 21, 2002, using a case 2.630” long made from a 300 H&H Magnum case and the load noted above, I shot five 5 shot groups averaging 1.468".
After shooting, the 2.630” case was 2.626”/2.628” long, it had blown out and shortened.
The problem was that the 300 H&H cases were tapered, and a 300WM case formed from them and trimmed to just fit in the chamber, shortened after firing. I needed longer cases.

The test with a long case made from a 375 H&H Magnum case
I went to the Internet and asked for samples of 375 H&H Magnum cases, which don’t have the taper of the 300 H&H. Alston Jennings was kind enough to send some. I formed three of the cases to 300 Winchester Magnum, leaving the necks long.

On March 27, 2002, with one case formed to 300WM 2.642" long and the same load, I shot five 5 shot groups averaging 1.438"
After these 25 shots the case length was 2.646”.

The test with the long 375 H&H Magnum case trimmed short
I then trimmed the case to 2.605” and shot five 5 shot groups averaging 1.036", same load as above.
After these 25 shots the case was 2.608” long vs. 2.605” before the shooting.

Lengths of 300 WM cases
"Book" case length 2.620”
"Book" trim to 2.610”
My rifle chamber length: 2.648"
Formed from 300 H&H, case length: 2.630" after firing, 2.626"/2.628"
Formed from 375 H&H, case length: 2.642" after firing, 2.648"
Formed from 375 H&H, case length: 2.605" after firing, 2.608"

Table of group sizes fired with 300 WM cases of different lengths, inches.

Date
13-Mar-02
21-Mar-02
27-Mar-02
27-Mar-02
Case Length
2.605"
2.630"
2.642"
2.605"
First
Second
Third
Fourth
Fifth
Average

All these groups were shot at a pace determined by the time required for reloading the one case. No wind flags were used, the rangemaster stopped the shooting after each 15 minutes of “hot line” for target change. The gun was cleaned once at the end of the day.

Comments and Conclusions
I don’t like to use cases that are close to the maximum possible length. If the case lengthens slightly, then excessively high-pressures will be experienced as the bullet and case neck are jammed into the leade/throat/ball seat..
The average group size for the 20 groups was 1.23”. Six of 20 were under an inch.
Pressure was high enough, bullet hardness was low enough (new wheel weights) and the bullet had an exposed section outside the case about 1/8” long ready to expand or obturate. I believe that the results are germane to all cast bullet shooting disciplines. There were no called flyers in 100 record shots from the bench. There was one stranger in the third group shot on 3/21/02.
I see no accuracy improvement using longer cases. The hypothesis failed this test.
One test doesn’t establish the fact, but I have seen no data supporting the hypothesis that longer cases improve accuracy in soft cast bullet shooting. If longer cases do produce better accuracy, I want to know it. I would welcome any other data on either side of the issue.
Since writing the above I have worked with a Savage 12BVSS in 223, forming brass from 222 Magnum cases because the chamber/brass on hand combination resulted in a gap between the end of the case and the end of the chamber. I was not able to detect an improvement in accuracy.
And I've been working with my Martini bench rifle and a M54 Winchester rifle, both in 30/30, both with "long" chambers. Using Buffalo Arms "long" 38/55 brass, I've formed 30/30 brass about right for the chamber.
I was not able to detect an improvement in accuracy with longer cases in either of these guns. I'm still trying.
Jeff Bowles mentioned (on the CBA Forum) that he makes (from 30/06) 308 Win cases that are .0015" from the end of the chamber and that this enhances accuracy.
Frank Marshall, in "Neck Length and Accuracy In Cast Loads", TFS March-April 2005, page 174-9, mentions seeing substantial accuracy improvements when using cases with "long" necks-not to exceed the chamber case length of course.

montana_charlie
02-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Matching case length to chamber depth, in straight-walled BPCR cartridges has been of great interest to me for about the last eighteen months. The interest culminated in the invention and production of a tool which allows a shooter to stretch his brass long enough to trim it back to his actual chamber length.

While I may speak highly of my 'pet tool', and interject a 'commercial' into the most mundane discussion, I have never claimed long cases improve accuracy.

I believe that 'consistent case length' within a boxful of reloads is important to consistent target results, but the reason for the Kal-Max Case Stretching Jig's existence is to prevent leading in the rifle's chamber and throat.

The project was born when I followed a forum discussion participated in by several highly experienced BPCR shooters. The subject was 'unexplained leading' and they appeared to agree it was caused by 'short cases'.
When a bullet obturates into a gap between the case mouth and the chamber step, that thin band of lead will be 'shaved off' from the bullet as it moves forward, leaving the shaving deposited in the chamber end and (eventually) smearing into whatever throat is present.
I was interested enough to follow closely because I had trimmed my own brass when it was new...but only enough to 'square up' the mouths. I didn't know at the time that they would get shorter when fired. Because they were short, I had the throat leading problem...and needed a cure.

It was postulated in that discussion that the 'paper rings' found in the chamber by some paper patch shooters could be attributed to the same cartridge case shortcoming.

Then each went on about his method for (or attempts at) stretching cases to prevent the occurrence. One used a lathe to 'nib' cases longer. One used a roller gadget somewhat like a tubing cutter to 'iron them out' longer. Some methods had good control of uniformity but they were expensive (lathe required), while the 'inexpensive' methods produced random results.

As the thread wore on and I felt I understood the parameters, I started to ask some questions aimed at determining the suitability of commonly available hardware store bits and pieces that could be cobbled together in a device to stretch cases with good control...but which would cost far less than a lathe, and didn't require a machinist apprenticeship to learn how to operate it.

The advantage of not leading a rifle's throat is obvious...even for accuracy reasons...but you have the added advantage of being able to trim square mouths on all cases to a consistent length (which also fills the chamber) if they are a little too long to start with.

Consistent length and square mouths are aids to accuracy in everybody's book...

CM

felix
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
CM, I think the length of case neck has to be just long enough for consistent ignition, and nothing more. This requires identical obturation of the projectile and case neck to give zero neck clearance. Therefore, the diameter of the case neck and projectile should be absolutely commensurate to make that happen. Once the powder is properly ignited, it does not make any difference how the case neck is terminated. The projectile should be seated with enough holding force closest to the bottom of the neck to ignite the powder properly. Of course, the leading factor is a horse with a different color. Gaschecks take care of the variable case length problem. If the projectile is held firmly by the throat, the ragged case neck syndrome is eliminated. Prolly the most important thing you can do to a case is to neck turn it so zero clearance can safely be had. ... felix

montana_charlie
02-06-2009, 02:04 PM
CM,
Of course, the leading factor is a horse with a different color.
I won't argue with anything you said, Felix, but the leading factor is the only horse I ever beat. Gas checks (and etcetera) are not part of my world.

Neck diameter..or 'neck tension'...is a different subject.
CM

joeb33050
02-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Montana C.;
I was able to make lead rings by firing at high pressures. The little rings were in the chamber and come out easily, and they're rings, bullet diameter and ~.010" thick/long. Now this with smokeless, at too high pressures. I shoot all cases quite a bit = .015" shorter than the chamber because
A. brass is frequently shorter than specifications
B. chambers, (to case mouth/end),are always longer than specifications
C. I always? trim brass to make that "M" die bell the same

Any reasonable accurate load and I get no lead rings, no lead in the throat, and as I wrote, my testing found no accuracy difference.

BUT, I shoot cbs at low velocity with smokeless.

SO, is it fair to say that this maximum case length business has to do with BLACK POWDER, not smokeless??

Thanks;
joe b.

montana_charlie
02-07-2009, 01:35 PM
SO, is it fair to say that this maximum case length business has to do with BLACK POWDER, not smokeless??
It might be, Joe.

We know that BP (probably) causes obturation to occur earlier because smokeless builds pressure more slowly, and BPCR usually involves very soft bullet alloys
CM

Larry Gibson
02-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Obturation of the bullet into the chamber neck space not occupied by a case neck does happen. However, it only happens under some circumstances.

Of course the alloy must be soft enough to obturate at the pressure of the load. However using "peak pressure" as that guidline is misleading. Peak pressure occurs after the bullet is already some distance into the barrel. Faster powders help here but if the bullet 'fits" the throat and there is sufficient freebore (that is the length of the throat not the diameter) for the bullet to move into the barrel away from the unsupported chamber neck area then there will be no obturation. This is because peak pressure or at least not enough pressure will have occured while the bullet was still in the unsupported chamber neck area to cause obturation.

Where the cast bullet does expand into this unsupported area is with soft alloys when black powder is used or when the time pressure curve of a smokeless powder charge is sufficient that the bullet is still in the case neck when sufficient pressure is attained to cause obturation. One other thing also must be present. That is there should be little minimal freebore of the throat and the bullet should be oversize and engraved against, or at least very close to, the leade. This gives resistance to the forward movement of the bullet allowing obturation to occur when pressure is sufficient while the bullet is still in the case neck. The bullet will then swage out into the the unsupported part of the chamber neck. That part of the bullet will then have to be swaged back down as the bullet enters the throat. Accuracy will then suffer.

The best example of this is the 30-30 as chambered in most M94s and M336s. The necks of the chambers are usually horribly long. There also is minimal freebore to the throat before the leade starts. When shooting really soft 170 gr+ cast bullets using normal length 30-30 cases I get good accuracy of 2 moa or less for 5 shots (must clean barrel every 5-7 shots to maintain accuracy) up through 1850-1900 fps when accuracy then opens to 3-4 moa with velocities above that. With the loads above 1900 fps when using regualar 30-30 length cases I also would many times get a small "donut" of lead out of the front of the chamber. Obviously this was lead peeled from the swaged out bullets and stripped off when they swaged down to enter the throat. With the same bullet I can maintain that 2 moa accuracy up through 2100 fps by using 32 Special cases that, when sized in a 30-30 die, have necks that fit the chamber neck length perfectly. With such loads I never got any of the Lead donuts out of the cahmber when the full chamber neck length 32 special cases were used.

The only difference being the case neck length allows the soft cast bullet to be supported by the case neck until all of the bullet is in the throat and barrel. There may be some (undoubtably is) some obturation of the bullet in the case neck but it is evenly supported by the longer case neck of the 32 Special cases. There is no room for obturation into an unsupported part of the chamber as when the regular length 30-30 cases are used.

I'm going to give 45 2.1 some credit here (yes I know that is shocking to a lot of you:-) ) but when he discusses loading for the 6.5 Swede he mentions the critical need to form cases from '06 so the case neck is maximum length fitting the chamber neck and also thicker. This plays a major role in getting accuracy with heavier bullets in the 6.5 Swede. It is this same principal of the bullets obturating while still in the case neck. Of course the longer, thicker necks also help with concentricity in both cases. The more concentric the bullet is lined up with the throat the less resistance to entering the throat. In our conversation here less resistance means less obturation and hence greater accuracy.

Larry Gibson

felix
02-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Very good, Larry! Joe should copy this into his "book". ... felix

joeb33050
02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Very good, Larry! Joe should copy this into his "book". ... felix
"book"? "book"? What can this mean? Why the quotes? Is this about the world court, or latin?
joe b.

Larry Gibson
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Joe

If you want to add my previous post that's fine with me. How ever I would really not take credit for it as it is common knowledge amoung serious BP shooters and those of use who push soft cast bullets to the max for hunting.

I have added one thing (in italics) to the post above that I forgot to put in. Someone else has mentioned it above also.

Larry Gibson