PDA

View Full Version : CB in Glocks?

vis35
02-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Anyone have any experience shooting cast bullets in Glock pistols, particularly .45 ACP? I am a Glock armorer and Glock warns against it, the rifling in Glock barrels seems to be more prone to collect leading, causing bore constriction and raising pressure to dangerous levels. It seems that the problem child is the .40 S&W, the 9mm’s have thick walled strong barrels and the .45’s operate at low pressure but the .40’s have relatively thin walled barrels and high pressure. Any tricks to avoid leading in Glock barrels? There are aftermarket barrels available for the Glock with conventional rifling but I would rather stick with my stock barrel.

jack19512
02-06-2009, 04:32 AM
I don't have a .40 or .45 but recently started shooting cast out of my G26 9mm and was concerned with this also but after firing 10 rounds I examined my barrel and there was no leading. I have loaded up some more to shoot and will keep an eye out for any problems.

shotman
02-06-2009, 04:38 AM
Good luck you will see leading and a bunch of it. I have seen it look like hair coming out of the barrel. It will take about 30 rounds and about 3hr to get it out . If you want the plastic toy get an after market barrel. Brownells has a good one. Oh a 10mm it only takes 5rds
There is a reason Glock done the rifleing that way. Here is what they done.
When John Browning sold the colt 45 auto to the govt. He had a used gun that he had stomped in the mud and sand and it still shot. There was not any rifling left from fireing it with mud in the barrel. BUT IT FIRED.
Glock done the same thing only with a new barrel. It dont fail. BUT it dont shoot as a target gun,same as old govt 45. Glock will tell you is not a target gun but IS reliable. It wil do ok with jackets but in 50 cast you cant hit a door.

seabat0603
02-06-2009, 04:56 AM
You will find opinions both ways in here. I know because I asked the same thing not to long ago. If you are going to shoot cast bullets in your gun, slug your barrel first and shoot bullets between.001 - .002 thousands over bore dia. Shoot harder bullets ( ww ) will do and use a good lube like Lars carnauba red or bac lube.Both are great and will handle your needs. There are people on here who have shot thousands of rounds of lead bullets through their Glocks with no problems of any kind. Then there are some who say they have seen glocks ruined by shooting lead bullets. A safe bet either way if your going to shoot lead is to check your bore every 25 to 50 rounds. It cant hurt to do that. If you decide otherwise, brownells sells a wilson combat glock barrel that is excellent. I like it better than the others. ( just my personal favorite ) I have to laugh at shotmans comment, never seen the likes of what he's talk'in about. gl -seabat0603

supv26
02-06-2009, 05:31 AM
I have also shot lead through a Glock model 21 and have not had any leading. I did, however, switch the barrel out with a KKM Precision barrel. The guys I used to shoot with used to cringe every time I came to shoot a steel match with my Glock using lead so I made the change.

AnthonyB
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Go to the Wheelguns section and read the sticky titled "The truth about Glocks and cast" for some great information.
As a Glock armorer, can you get me a locking block for a M30SF? I have been waiting two months for my local shop to get one. I have the broken one and can send it to you if needed. Tony

Jimlakeside
02-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I have two plastic toy G34s that I just love that are very accurate. One has never had a factory load through its factory barrel. Unlike Shotman's experience I get small amounts of leading after about 600 rounds. It's easy to clean out. The other G34 has a Lone Wold barrel and has never leaded.

kamikaze1a
02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
In most cases, I believe Polygon rifling will not cause any problems when shooting cast boos'. I shot my hardcast boos' out of the original barrel and did not find any more leading that with my new Lone Wolf barrel. The only reason I got the Wolf is because of the unsupported chamber in the original barrel, not because of the rifling. I think the leading is more of a problem with softer swaged boos'... my opinion and you should arrive at your own.

On a side note, IF you read your owner's manuals, many other manufacturers also state that shooting handloads is not recommended and will void your warranties...in other words, they don't recommend firing cast, swaged or jacketed boos'...unless they come come loaded from a factory.

Kuato
02-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Don't tempt fate. Buy an aftermarket barrel to shoot cast.. Some get away with cast in a factory barrel, but it only takes that one kaboom to ruin your gun & your day..

superior
02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
After 600 rounds of cast through my G23 I've yet to see any leading. The first 500 rounds were 180gr truncated cones sitting on 3.9 gr bullseye. The last 100 or so were Lee tl401-175-swc's on 6.8 gr hs-6 cast from WW. By not recommending handloads, manufacturers are reducing their exposure from incidents caused by careless or just plain bad loading practices.
The way I see it is as long a reasonable load is established, consisting of a properly sized boolit, the proper powder(not loaded to the moon)and a clean burning lube, you shouldn't have a problem. Just keep everything clean. Now imagine gunked up chamber in a leaded up barrel about to rapid fire another 14 rounds into that old microwave on the pile. If a round doesn't fully chamber in the filthy gun and fires out of battery, well you get the picture. I hit pop cans at 25 yards from the sitting position without difficulty. When my shooting is off, it's usually me- not the weapon. My biggest mistake is not lining the slide up with my arm bone.
Once I practice the fundamentals, I'm right back on the pop cans. That's not bad for a 4" bbl with combat sights. It is way more accurate than the s+w 38 snub we carried aboard c-5a military aircraft. The fact that a Glock can be fired underwater clearly shows it can handle some pretty heady pressures. A customer of mine just dropped off 2 10 lb. bags of 40sw cases and about 400 180gr fmj's for me to play with so very soon I'll have almost 1000 rounds ready to go. My hexagonal rifling works great with cast boolits.

trickyasafox
02-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I get some leading in my g23- but not tons- and I get a fair number of rounds down range before I deem cleaning necessary- probably 150 or so. I have a 40 mold of my own now, so we'll see if sizing and alloy can reduce the leading issue I'm experiencing.