PDA

View Full Version : classis chilli question

hoss-noogy
02-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Whats your opinion

BEANS OR NO BEANS

mooman76
02-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Beans for chilli, no beans for chilli dogs!

870TC
02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Ditto, on what mooman76 said!.

LIMPINGJ
02-05-2009, 11:39 PM
NO BEANS! Beans are for rice.

Mumblypeg
02-05-2009, 11:51 PM
No beans. Unless you're from Texas. I'm not.

GSM
02-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Beans AND rice. Or, beans and Fritos. And grated cheese, and jalapenos, a spoonfull of sour cream, and cold beer.

Definitely a Pepcid AC afterwards, though.

MT Gianni
02-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Cubed meat and chili's also onion. Serve the beans on the side with some pork, mustard and a touch of vinegar in them.

Reddot
02-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Yes beans! 6 to 10 squirts of Frank's Hot Sauce per bowl and saltine crackers on the side.

Dark Helmet
02-07-2009, 10:52 PM
But I'm not in Texas:mrgreen:

TCLouis
02-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Chilli . . . . Chili . . . . Chile . . . .

The only question is RED or GREEN.

Heh, make it the way you want and eat it up.

Everyone has an opinion . . . . especially on this subject and I have always said . . .

There is no right or wrong way to make chilli, just different kinds of Chili.

Rick N Bama
02-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Around here Chili without beans is called Soup. Add the beans, if anyone doesn't want them, then they can pick them out! Sprinkle the Chili with some grated cheese & chopped Onions, along with Cornbread on the side, & you've got a fine meal indeed.

Rick

pmeisel
02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
No beans for me.... but I often use corn....

favorite recipe is

1 big onion, 3 celery stalks, some bell peppers if you have them
Sweat it until soft adding some minced garlic about halfway through
3 pounds meat (I might use beef, chicken, or pork depending on my mood)
3 pints of diced tomatoes
2 pounds frozen corn

For seasoning, lots of ground dried chilis and some pepper.....one tablespoon of hot stuff for every pound of meet.

Top it like Rick says above.

Try it once, the corn is a nice change from beans.

nicholst55
02-09-2009, 12:23 AM
No beans. I frequently prepare beans as a side dish, if anyone wants them.

Railbuggy
03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Cincinnati Chili starts off with no beans
You can add spagette,cheese,onions, beans,and crackers for a 5way.

Pepe Ray
03-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Even in the deep back woods of Maine we knew that Chili con Carne was chili with beans.
I love beans in my chili but chili. has no beans.
Pepe Ray

carpetman
03-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Texas has many chili cook-offs and it's big here. Chili with beans will not ever be considered. Beans would be a separate dish at a cookoff---personally I like them in chili as well as rice---dont ruin my food with onions.

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2009, 05:35 AM
I live pretty dern fir from mexico and like beans in my chilli and like it red not green. My wife gets mad at me cause i even put maccoroni in it. My parents used to do that to make it go farther for the 6 kids they had and i just go used to it that way. Lots of heat though!!

1Papalote
03-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I am from Texas and traditional chili is served without beans. But it is acceptable to make chili with beans. If one was to get technical, chili meat was cubed not ground, actual peppers were used (not powder) and it was eaten with tortillas. I personally like chili any way listed above.

1Papalote

Gee_Wizz01
03-06-2009, 12:06 AM
I am a native Texan and we have it both ways, with and without beans! But it all should have plenty of garlic, jalapenos and onions served with tortillas (either corn or flour). Now y'all have gone and made me hungry!

G

Rick N Bama
03-06-2009, 06:20 AM
I know some will think this is a dumb question, but how the heck do you make Green Chili? Never heard of it.

Rick

1Papalote
03-06-2009, 10:20 AM
made with GREEN CHILI Peppers or chiles verdes.

1Papalote

jimkim
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm from GA and I make my own chili powder from several different chiles. I make both hot and mild. If I make chili with cubed meat it is without beans. If made with ground meat it is with beans. I make it with several different meats and have even made it with poultry. My favorite is with cubed venison, but it's all good to me.

bpfh
03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Here is my version of it:

Chili for me comes from chili beans and not chili peppers... (though they are far from mutually incompatible!), but the chili flavor comes from cumin spice. This recepie serves my family of 5

1 lb of beans
2 average sized (tennis ball sized) onions or 4 echalottes
3 cloves of garlic (or garlic powder if you want to cheat)
1 lb of minced meat
Tomatoes: as many as the onions (if they are the same size). Rince them off beforehand.
Couple of table spoons of olive oil (you can use sunflower oil if you wish but it will invalidate my 50000 mile parts & labour waranty)
1 bottle of white wine
1 bottle of red wine
Cumin spice seeds. Chili is the bean, but cumin makes chili con carne be chili con carne!!

Go for it:

If the meat is frozen, unfreeze it (if you are lazy and are using frozen beefburgers, chuck em in the microwave in their plastic sachet, slightly ripped as not to explode and avoid cleaning the crimowave after!!)
Peel onions and chop
Pour and drink a glass of wine (you need it to replenish fluids lost through crying while chopping onions)
Peal and press the garlic. If you do not have a garlic press, get a large bladed knife, and crush the garlic under the side of the blade, then chop the crushed garlic.
Warm up the olive oil in a frying pan or skillet, add garlic and onions, heat for 30 seconds then remove from heat.
Open a tin of beans and drain them off. Put the pan back on the heat and add the minced meat.
While it's warming up again (2 or 3 minutes, winding it around from time to time so it does not stick), cut the tomatoes into quarters and toss them in the pan, chuck the drained beans in the general direction of the pan, along with a glass of water, and wait until the water boils for a minute or so, then wind in 2 tablespoons of cumin.
After 2 or 3 minutes (winding the mix around as not to burn), add 2 glasses of wine (for each glass added, you may drink one too as you will need it to encourage you to clean up the kitchen, pull beans off the ceiling and wipe off the olive oil and meat you managed to spray over the walls if you are anything like me)
Let it all simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes on low heat or gas, keep stirring from time to time so it does not stick. If it starts to stick (like when the phone rings at the other end of the house after 5 minutes of simmering), add another glass of wine and a tad of water.
When the beans are "melting" ("cooked" in men's terms) turn off the heat and open a decent bottle of red wine to go with it - especially if you have followed my instructions and managed to polish off the bottle of white.

You can serve as is, or brew up a pot of rice if you have more guests than planned.

You can add spices or chopped red/green chili. If you can't get real chili, use a packet of Old El Paso Fajita spice mix : Quarter of the packet to flavour, half for a light kick, the whole packet for a semi-decent kick (but jalapeños rule OK).

Bon appétit

280Ackley
03-07-2009, 11:18 AM
For green chili, use green tomatos as the base. Beans or no beans it needs lots of fire with red or green jalapeños or chiltepins and those black habaneros if you really want a sore ass the next day. Nobody mentioned that the very best chili meat is deer.