PDA

View Full Version : Sewer Pipes

357maximum
02-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Is there anyone here that can take a 50 cal barrel that looks like a pic from the mars rover internally and make it into say a 58cal smoothie? The gun is an old cva blazer hammer inline and if I found it I would leave it where I found it. This particular one however has some sentiment attached to it. It actually shoots a plastic saboted round pretty fair, but cleaning it is not a fast endeavor.

Suggestions?

mooman76
02-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Is it beyond fire laping?

357maximum
02-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Is it beyond fire laping?

It is waaaaaaaaaaaay beyond lapping with less than 10 grit anything. The rifling is only a shadow of a hint of an old idea once forgotton and never to be remembered. I have no idea how it can carry the 2-3 inch group it does carry with a saboooooot. Cleanup is a major undertaking. There is no breach plug on this "inline"...I am thinking a subsized burr/cutter/bit/etc on a drill rod and then "polishing" until my .575 patched ball fits.

frontier gander
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
You're in luck!!! If you send that rifle back to CVA they will replace it with a new rifle!

357maximum
02-06-2009, 12:04 AM
My concience obligates me to keep it, and I am not really interested in a piece of plastic with glow in the day sights strapped to a round barrel, but thanks for the heads up. I just want it to be useable and cleanable without alot of time invested like it took to find steel the first time I cleaned it.....I have already dubbed it the forgotten gun.....just want to breathe some life into it.

missionary5155
02-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Good morning
Seeing you want to Open the pole up... I would do a little "Practice" on it.
IF I could come up with a bit (CHEAP) just over the BORE size I would weld a steel rod to the bit. Then build a horizontal drill guide and proceed to drill it out. I guess you need to get the breach plug out.
You could practice on some 1/2" water pipe. Surely you could do as well as origonal barrel Borers did 150 years ago. You just might get it smoth enough a little lapping will make her a shootable smoothy. Thatīs what I would do.
Mike God Bless you.

richbug
02-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Good morning
IF I could come up with a bit (CHEAP) just over the BORE size I would weld a steel rod to the bit. Then build a horizontal drill guide and proceed to drill it out. I guess you need to get the breach plug out.
You could practice on some 1/2" water pipe. Surely you could do as well as origonal barrel Borers did 150 years ago. You just might get it smoth enough a little lapping will make her a shootable smoothy. Thatīs what I would do.
Mike God Bless you.

Not a drill, but a reamer. A lathe would be ideal. If it were mine I'd bore it out to use a readily available plastic shotgun wad, probably 28 bore.

59sharps
02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
call bobby hoyt (717) 642- 6696
He should be able to reline it for you.

357maximum
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Good morning
Mike God Bless you.

Thank YOU, kinda what I am thinking of doing with a reamer. I have all the accrutements to shoot 58 ..so that is what it shall become.

Thare is no breech plug as I can tell, it looks as though they left it just short of all the way through and drilled the end for a #11 nipple. If I err it up and go all the way through the end...it will get a threaded breech plug[smilie=f:

02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
357max,
+1 on 59sharps advice. Bob is a great barrel man.

hfcable
02-08-2009, 12:14 PM
357max,
+1 on 59sharps advice. Bob is a great barrel man.

he is indeed, and also ed rayl does this work,
304-364-8269

good luck,

rhead
02-09-2009, 10:34 PM
What size hole would you get if you ran a 28 gauge reamer through it? (mill the rim off if needed.) It would be very close to a 20 gauge bore. I don't have one to measure but the bore size is listed as .55 in. They are an off the shelf item at any well stocked supplier (brownells or others) guides and extensions are also available.

357maximum
02-27-2009, 12:15 AM
A call to CVA does in fact verify they want to replace this rifle with a 50cal plastic soulless chingkong inline. I simply cannot do it...it has been placed in the project gun rack awaiting on the $$ to simply rebarrel it. Will cost more than the gun is worth, but well you know, and possibly maybe perhaps understand. I still might make the barrel into..something..pistol maybe?? Noticed that one of the scope mount holes goes all the way through...so barrell will be shorter in it's next form.

I bought the kid this would have went to if in good shape a second hand cva 50 cal bobcat.. I will teach him on this and will go from there.

thanks for all the assistance fellas

Michael