PDA

View Full Version : Lube suggestion

high standard 40
02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm fairly new to the board, and I know this subject has been beaten to death.
I'm getting back into casting after laying off for several years. A lot has changed.
I used to use a "cold" lube which needed no heater in my Lyman 450. I always hated handling & storing those "grease balls". I did some reading about the new hard lubes that require a heater but leave a dry to the touch bullet. Much better for handling & storage. I have some questions.

1. I am trying the Thompson Blue Angel lube. Has anyone tried this and your thoughts.

2. I'm having to run a Lyman heater base, and a Kats 200w heater in tandem to get my lube to flow. Is this normal.( it is kinda cold in the shop)

3. Any suggestions for an alternative. I love the way the lubed bullets come out and accuracy but I'm a little put off with the trouble getting the lube to flow.

I am currently casting for 44Mag, 357Mag, 32 S&W, 40 S&W, 45ACP and am about to add .30, 358, and 7MM for my silhouette guns so that's the range of cartridges I will need the lube for. I'm not against making my own lube but I really don't want a bullet that is sticky or greasy to handle. Any help would be a great help.

Charlie..........

mooman76
02-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I have never used the lube you are talking about but I have used Rooser red and last weekend it did take awhile. It's best to turn the heat on the lyman at least an hour before you start. It is kind of slow to heat. I think that is to prevent it from getting too hot. When it is warmer I just heat awhile and unplug it or it gets too melty. You can use a hair drier to help heat up the press and it actually doesn't take long and works well.