PDA

View Full Version : Best 'cheap' caliper

ghh3rd
02-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a good, cheap caliper in the $30-$40 range? There are several out there, but if someone has had a good experience with one, I'd be more inclined to go with that one.

I saw a digital caliper at Lowe's Home Improvement made by Kobalt that goes out to 2 decimal places. Is that sufficient or should it go out to 3 places?

Thanks,

Randy

Dean D.
02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I just purchased a "Franklin Arsenal" digital caliper from MidwayUSA for $12.99. They claim accuracy to .001 but while I have not had it long I like it so far.

Bloodman14
02-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Mitutoyo, goes to 3 places and converts to metric, about 25 to 30 bucks, I think. Been awhile since I bought mine.

Lead Forever!

chuebner
02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I have a dial caliper and digital caliper, both from Midway and both work great. One lives at the reloading bench and one at the casting bench.

charlie

Gohon
02-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I just purchased a "Franklin Arsenal" digital caliper from MidwayUSA for $12.99. They claim accuracy to .001 but while I have not had it long I like it so far.

I just ordered the same one with some other gear which should be here in a couple days. I would note the original price was $30 and now on sale for $12.99.

IcerUSA
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I got one of the digital read outs from Harbor Freight that goes to .0005 plus you can change to metric , but for better precision I use the mic , but good nuff for close enough for most reloading .

Keith

Bret4207
02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
any of the metal $10-30.00 Chinkwaneese types are about the same. I prefer Starrett, Miutoyo, Brown and Sharp but Fowler or any of the knock off brands are fine. The important thing is to get a standard to measure against and be consistent in using it. I prefer mechanical to electronic, but some folks have a hard time reading little lines.

sniper7369
02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I picked up a Lyman dial caliper at my LGS for 30.00. I had been using a 10.00 digital, but I just find that the dial caliper is more accurate, and I'm also one of those that prefers the "old school" I suppose.

FN in MT
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I've had a Starrett dial caliper for about 35 years. NEVER an issue.

Recently decided to get a cheapy simply to keep in the RANGE box to measure groups, etc. Bought one of the ENCO cheapies and it IS cheap. Measures all over the place....sent it back and got my money back.

Cheap and BEST do not go together. Bret4207 had some good advice, I agree with him.

Check out the ENCO site and buy a quality caliper. They have fairly good prices on Starett and Mitutoyo. Go quality you wont be sorry. Especially in the long run.

FN in MT

supv26
02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I ordered one from Midway years ago and it is great!. It is a dial and came with a nice case. I think it was leass than 20 bucks. Oh, and the battery has never died either! :-D

Buckshot
02-06-2009, 03:44 AM
...............I'll bet a bunch that ALL the inexpensive calipers come out of the same Chinese factory. I can't really see paying a lot for calipers as they're only good to give you an idea of where you are, if working on something. Or if a couple thou clearance or tolerance is okay then so are calipers. Why spend a bunch on calipers if when it REALLY counts you're going to reach for your micrometers anyway? Buy 3-4 individual gage blocks to spot check a 'Range' to keep a check on your calipers and mic's.

................Buckshot

corvette8n
02-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Where is an online place to buy "gage blocks" any links?
I also need a #51 drill bit for drilling spring steel. Those China bits don't even make a dent.

BD
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I think there are a lot of folks out there who are very happy with their $19.95 calipers. Mostly because they never check it against a standard. How many times have you dropped yours? Mitutoyo makes decent stuff and is about as low cost as I'd go for a tool I was betting my eyesight on.

There are lots of "standards" available. Most of us should have a pin guage or a GO NO-GO guage around. Really, anything well machined, (drill bit shank?), that has been checked against a "real" instrument and the value recorded will work. If you get serious about a wildcat, or case head expansion as an indicator of pressure, a blade micrometer is a good addition to the tool drawer.

BD

Nate1778
02-06-2009, 12:36 PM

I have the same one and really like it. Seams to be consistent, accurate I have not held it to a standard so I don't know. Easy to use though, and can quickly be used.

JDFuchs
02-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Mitutoyo or Starrett will be some of the better ones you can find. Honestly I saved my money and got a harbor freight one for $10-15 and have a few nice mikes. Other then the metric never lining up the thing has never given me a problem. Check around your pawn shops for a used one. I came form a machine shop that dilled into me any caliper can never be trusted beyond a few tho range. But it is a tool I use every day.

Trapshooter
02-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Usually "good" and "cheap" are hard to find in the same place. I've had some good luck so far with pawn shop stuff. Selection is pretty good given today's economic climate. Look for a good brand, and the good or better models, and look at the condition. Most machinists take pretty good care of the stuff they depend on to make a living.

Trapshooter

montana_charlie
02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
When I am choosing between 'cheap' and 'not cheap', I first answer Question 1 which is, "How much trouble I'll be in if it doesn't perform well?"

A 'cheap wrench' can mean a rounded-off bolt head, and that usually means a lot more work to do a job that may need to be done quickly.

A cheap measuring tool can lead you astray...maybe in a dangerous way. (Refer to Question 1.)

If I insist on 'cheap' but Question 1 says that's a bad idea, I try to find an expensive item that is 'second hand'.

CM

Calamity Jake
02-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Where is an online place to buy "gage blocks" any links?
I also need a #51 drill bit for drilling spring steel. Those China bits don't even make a dent.

mscdirect.com for your gage blocks and a carbide #51 drill for that spring steel, but it may not drill that hardened material eather you may have to anneal the spring, drill and then retemper.

Before you spend $'s on gage blocks look at mic standards, they start @ 1.0000 and go up in 1.0000 steps

RustyFN
02-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I got this one at Harbor Freight for around $20. I don't like digital because of the batteries. This one has worked very good for me over the last 2.5 years.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7ce35b3127ccec209c23f90a300000010O00DZOGblm4Yg9 vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Rusty

waksupi
02-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm poor. I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. I need things that will last, and do the job.

Gerry N.
02-06-2009, 10:26 PM
I've got several decent electronic calipers at pawn shops. The Fowler made in Switzerland is a wonder. It's kinda old and doesn't have an on-off switch so it needs a nes battery about every six months. Fortunately the el-cheapo button batteries from Harbor Freight do nicely at about 6 bux for 24. I use a hardened and ground .125" dowel pin as a standard. I've got several of H-F's 20 buck dial calipers that live in various tool and glove boxes.

Gerry N.

sniper
02-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Me, too. For the price, I couldn't pass it up. It is accurate, when checked against a feeler gauge, so...good enough. I don't know how long it will last, but I bet anyone who buys one will get his $12.99 worth. :-D

2TN Mules
02-07-2009, 11:40 PM
I have the Kobalt caliper from Lowes and it does excellent for me. I'm always a sucker fro a lifetime warranty.