PDA

View Full Version : .45 Jackets from both 9mm and .40 S&W

Grapeshot
02-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I've been swaging for the better part of 20 years using a Corbin press and dies. Finding jackets to be expensive I experimented with 9mm cases. I anealed them with a propane torch on top of a fire brick until they glowed a nice dull cherry red.

Then I let them cool. After that I ran them though a 9mm case belling die and expanded the case mouths to just under .45 caliber. This allowed me to put a lead core I cut from a roll of lead wire I got from Corbin's. I also have a swage core mold so I can mold cores of the correct length prior to fine tuning them in my core swage die. A note here, I had to get a special internal punch made to keep the 9mm case centered in the die. The internal punch has a recess cut in the center of it to accept the 9mm's rim.

After I lubed the 9mm case with corbin's lanolin based swage lube, I put in a core and ran it through the core seating die and then ran that batch inot a nose forming die to get either round nose with a slighty pointed profile or a truncated cone out of the die made for that.

I also did the same with the .40 S&W cases. (Both yellow brass and nickled)

Most of the 9mm cases were of Egyptian Military berdan primed cases.

The neatest case to make .45 Colt bullets from were .38 S&W cases as they also did not need a special inner punch, they centered well and were quite acurate with a stiff charge of AA #9 out of my Colt Anaconda.

I prefer the .40 S&W cases for making .45 Jackets as I do not have to have a special inner punch with a recess in it for the rim of the case as it centers itself better in the core seating die.:Fire:

I've also used my dies to trans form commercial hard cast lead bullets from beveled base RN's for the .45 ACP to RN hollow Based bullets for use in my Cowboy Action Shooting revolvers. They are very accurate in the HB configuration.

In this manner I have also transformed commercial .452 dia LSWC's into flat based RNFP for use in my Lever Action carbines.

454PB
02-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds great.....got pictures?

sav300
02-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Welcome Grapeshot,I would like to see pictures of your work too please.
Lionel

Grapeshot
02-06-2009, 07:11 PM
I have some pictures, but how do I post them on this forum?

Pete D.
02-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see the pics.
About posting pics - you need to have an account with a Photo hosting website. I use VillagePhotos.com. The account is free and there are other sites - Photo Bucket is one.
Upload your pics to them. From there you can copy a link to a particular picture. Then, you click on the little icon that shows two mountains and the sun and that appears above the text area in the "reply to thread" box.
You paste the link to your photo in the window that appears when you click on the icon.
I always delete the "http://" that appears before I paste.
There may be a sticky that explains it better than I.
Pete

454PB
02-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Grapeshot, if you'll e-mail the pictures to me, I'll post them for you.