PDA

View Full Version : Hair trigger situation!

superior
02-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I was so excited with the success of the Lee 312-160's in my 18" bbl enfield that I forgot to mention a wierd situation that has developed with the trigger. It used to have a more or less 2 stage military take-up but the last time out things have changed. Now the trigger travel is the same but towards the end of the travel it just breaks at 1-2 pounds of pressure and BOOM! No more 2 stage ! What happened? My wife says "maybe you just cleaned everything out real well". I know I've gotten some ATF in the trigger group as well as the rest of the action as I soaked the practically the whole rifle with it right after I bought it. It hadn't been fired since 1961 so I thought a solvent based lubricant like ATF would do it some good. Do you think this trigger situation is ok? Before I lubed the rifle it had a noticable 2 stages to the trigger with the trigger breaking at about 3-4 pounds.
(just an estimate) but now the rifle surprises me when it goes off. I actually like it this way and it makes for great accuracy, but is it safe? Is there a potential for a component failing? Could something be wearing out? Should I be worried ?:confused:

docone31
02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
I have a feeling you have some hard crud on the last stage.
I like those two stage triggers. I got used to them I relax, pull back, feel the bump, pull to the tight feel and pull.
However for those inspired,
http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/ti17.htm
I got a lot of information from this site.
Especially the three point bedding. I did my first one by accident that way, and later found out it was correct. Fooled me.

superior
02-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Can I pull the trigger assembly out for cleaning?

docone31
02-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I do not know which variant you have. I have the SMLE #1MKIII. Two screws. I replace the rear screw with an Allen bolt in metric which I round the head on. The slot screw head strips really easily. The trigger guard/magazine well pops right out. The trigger is held in place by a pin which drifts out.
That is probably not the issue. It is the rear of the bolt. The Enfield trigger uses a compound system. The trigger has two bumps on the rear portion. These move the angled piece which in turn removes the stop from the bolt.
The angles are CRITICAL here, do not attemp to stone them unless you know the operation inside and out!
My thought is, at the firing pin/bolt area, there is hardened crud where the lever stops the firing pin.
That is where I would look first. Could be a piece of flash, or hardened cosmoline. As you said, you cleaned it with ATF. I use Easy Off! I also boil all my parts for major cosmoline removal.
You will end up removeing the foreend stock after removeing the trigger guard. On the #4, and #5 it is on the action itself.
Here is where a look see is in order. All you will need is a medium screw driver. Nothing complicated, no suprises involved. It all goes back together easily, no springs etc.
Numerich arms has exploded views to order parts from, I use them a lot.
Sounds like something is stuck there.

superior
02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
I agree. Thanks for the good info. I feel confident that with a little hot water the situation can be easily remedied. I know alot of atf was intrduced into the internal workings of the firing pin-bolt assembly.

docone31
02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I love those Enfields!
They are so daggoned simple even I can work on them. Changeing barrels is a snap. The headspace adjustment is made on the bolt.
Use a small ring Mauser vice.
They are great rifles, and all of mine love paper patches!