PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Nose

cajun shooter
02-05-2009, 08:17 AM
I shoot CAS and know that many forum members do also. There is a current GB going on for the 454190 which is the original 45 Colt design. My question and concern is about the bullet design. Has anyone loaded and shot this bullet with it's small nose in a tube magazine lever action rifle? The nose design is a perfect fit for the primer on the round in front of it. In my 61 years on this terra firma I've always been told this is a no-no. Did not seem like I needed to prove some one wrong by blowing up any gun that I ever owned, so I never did it. Maybe it's like the coffee is bad , coffee is good thing.

KYCaster
02-05-2009, 10:17 AM
There is lots of factory ammo in lever gun calibers loaded with RN bullets. I never considered that to be a problem.

If it's good enough for Remchester it's good enough for me.

Jerry

missionary5155
02-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Good morning
If memory serves ... the problem erupted when some company long before me made some REAL sensitive primers. Round nose boolits in the Heavy calibers exerted enough Recoil impact to the Overly sensitive primers to cause detonation.
Today.... Quality control and better mixes have probably removed this plague.
I shoot RN in my 41 mag Marlin and have not had nor heard of this condition.
Mike

KCSO
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
The 454 190 has a flat on the nose. It is just a little bigger than a primer. I load this one all the time and have run a bunch of thses through my M92, BUT I don't load them real hot.