PDA

View Full Version : Target Rifle

kydex
02-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Have decided to build a dedicated cast boolit target rifle, right now all the specs - -bore size, case, action, bbl, twist & etc etc are open for input. I've been casting for
factory rifles for 30+ years for hunting & plinking, mostly .30 & .35 cal. results have been around one and one-half MOA. Now I want to see just how good cast can get !

docone31
02-05-2009, 12:24 AM
I can outshoot jacketeds with my Ishapore #2MK2A in 7.62. Identical charges. That is with paper patching.
Have no clue on plain castings. Paper patching, well, any 03-A3 or better.
Paper will really open the door on accuracy.

Bullshop
02-05-2009, 12:30 AM
OOH OOH I vote for a 30 Johnson in a D&M falling block with a 1/12" to 1/14" twist
20.75" long barrel light varmint taper in a walking varminter size stock.
Just cuz I like the old timey look lets go with a Unertal return to battery type scope.
Oh yea and see if you can find a 150gn Egan mold.
That aughta get ya there.
BIC/BS

felix
02-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Dan, make that 21.75 inch length. ... felix

calaloo
02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
What you need:

(1) A good strong single shot action of the falling block type. A Ruger No. 1 or a highwall would work fine.

(2) A barrel made by Ron Smith in .321 Cal. with gain twist rifling ending with 1 in 11 twist. Said barrell to be fitted to the action by a compitent smith and chambered for the .32 Miller short. Throated for a 220 gr tapered bullet.

(3) Bullet mold made by Paul Jones to fit throat.

(4) Breech seater made by Russ Weber

After developing the proper load you can shoot WAY less than minute of angle groups.

Bill

Bullshop
02-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Felix
Your right I was trying to remember what the warehouse testing determined was optimum. 21.75" is what it must have been. Aint it weard that that very specific length prooved consistantly better than anything else.
We just need to get Kydex to turn us loose with his funding and it will be interesting to see what we ( castboolits) can come up with.
Wut ya say Kydex can we get a signed blank check?
BIC/BS

Todd N.
02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
OOH OOH I vote for a 30 Johnson in a D&M falling block with a 1/12" to 1/14" twist
20.75" long barrel light varmint taper in a walking varminter size stock.
Just cuz I like the old timey look lets go with a Unertal return to battery type scope.
Oh yea and see if you can find a 150gn Egan mold.
That aughta get ya there.
BIC/BS

WOW!
My gunsmith buddy talks like that- he's been around the same kinds of people you have, apparently. When my head stops spinning, he get out the books and the old 3-ring binder and teaches me!
And when he gets out the rifles that were built in that "old-timey way"... that's when you see some shooting!

Gun Junkie
02-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Kydex,

I too am attempting to build a dedicated cast boolit match rifle.

My background is in prone competition mostly (smallbore and 1000yd) and want to practice with something cheaper to shoot. A cast barrel should last as long as rimfire barrel too (I hope). The idea is to be able to have something accurate enough to let me know when my position is bad or I'm not reading the wind right.

I'm left-handed so that's another problem. Here is where I am right now.

I have a Savage LH heavy barrel 308 in a composite stock ( I would have been happy with about any LH action I could get. A Remington or Stolle Panda are 2 that come to mind). I have a new Kreiger 1-11 twist heavy barrel in 30 cal (I think 27 inches long). I purchased a laminated Culberson style prone stock which I will have glass bedded for the barreled action once I get the new barrel chambered.

I thought long and hard about a 308 X 1.5" but my gunsmith has a 6BR reamer he can use and a 1.5 degree 30 cal throating reamer. So that's fine with me. So that should be a 30BR with a 1.5 degree throat right?

I chose 30 cal because there are sooo many molds available, but was tempted to go to a 32 or 35, because I think they might be easier to cast an accurate boolit. But 30s weigh less and have a lower BC. Yup I want a bad BC since I'm trying to read wind. So I'm thinking the 165 RCBS sil bullet or a Loverin (probably spelled that wrong) design about the same weight might be my best bet.

I intend to set up good sights, perhaps another Warner or RPA and one of the vertically adjustable front sights. An adjustable butt and cheek piece and hopefully I'll be in business.

The goal is 300yd prone shooting with moa or better accuracy. I may be crazy but thats what I want.

If my current molds won't make it I guess I'll have to get a custom mold. I don't want to experiment all my life trying to find an accurate load. I want to shoot an accurate load and test me.

I am staying away from non-turnbolt rifles since none of them are seen in centerfire competition (prone anyway). 2 piece stocks for the same reason. Besides turnbolts are what I use now so I'm used to them.

Hey and if it all fails....I'll have a darn good 30BR that ought to shoot J-words like a house a-fire.

The 30BR should give decent load density and the 1 in 11 twist plenty of options on boolit weight.

I hope to use ww boolits, but most of the better scores I see in the cast bullet association results seem to be with linotype or harder.

One final thought. I want to use fixed ammunition. I'm not into breech seating. I want my ammo made at home not the range. Besides it seems it would be too slow (at least that's my thought).

Is that anything like what you have in mind?

Gun Junkie